1. Default Best way to see Death Valley, Sequoia National Park and Yosemite in 4 days

Hello, I will be doing a trip starting in late September/early October starting in Las Vegas. We want to go through Death Valley and stay 1 night here then move onto Sequoia and Yosemite. Want to know what is the best way to go after Death Valley. Should we go to Sequoia first or Yosemite first? Looking for the most scenic drives. Note, we will be heading to the San Fransisco area after these 4 days.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Can't avoid backtracking.

Hi Jim, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Head out of DV to the west, up 395 to CA-120, which leads into Yosemite, over the spectacular Tioga Pass. You would need to head to Sequoia after Yosemite. You could go south round the Sierras to Sequoia, before Yosemite, but you would miss out on Tioga Pass, and that would be a shame.

Are you aware that there is also a stand of giant Sequoia near the western exit of Yosemite?

South of England.

Personally speaking I would skip Seqouia NP and visit the giant trees at Mariposa Grove in Yosemite with 3 nights and 4 days. Although you do have time to include Sequoia, Yosemite is a quite a big park and you would really need a couple of nights to get around. As well as the views and stops along Tioga Pass there is the Valley floor, Glacier point and Mariposa grove. If Sequoia is a must see for you I would drive through Death Valley on day 1 and overnight around Bishop, if you take Tioga Pass, [recommended] or Lake Isabella area if you head to Sequoia NP first.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies. Question if we go through DV on day 1 and head to Yosemite for day 2 is Bishop close enough where we aren't driving far after a day in DV or are there closer towns to the west side of DV we can stay overnight before heading to Yosemite? Also may be thinking of doing Kings Canyon one day after Yosemite then heading to Napa. Any thoughts there on roads to hit for good views?

South of England.

Default Sometimes less is more.

Bishop is a good mid way point to stop, but you could stop in Lone Pine if you want to spend more time in DV. That would leave you more to do getting into Yosemite though the following day. If you are planning to drive from Yosemite into Kings canyon and then to Napa on the same day then you really won't have time to stop to take in the views. Kings canyon/Sequoia are spectacular, but so is Yosemite and I think you will get more from doing less.

6. Default

will be spending 3 days in Yosemite, 1 day in Kings Canyon area then onto Napa. Also trying to figure out where is the best place to stay in Yosemite. What are some close places if we can't get a room inside the park at the Wawona Hotel?

South of England.

Default Brilliant !

That's good then, it sounds like you found an extra couple of days from your original post. Yosemite lodge at the Falls is another park lodging option and it's something I would get onto as a matter of urgency, you can't beat being in the park. There are options at Mariposa, El Portal and Groveland and on your last day at Yosemite you could start to make your way south towards Kings canyon and stopover in Oakhurst which offers cheaper lodgings. If you don't mind 'rustic' lodgings the Yosemite Bug always appear to get good reviews and is reasonably close to the park.

In this case you could also check out lodging options at Stovepipe Wells in Death valley and just on the edge of the park Panamint Springs resort, although this has a mixed bag of reviews.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Reviews are only reliable if they are from the last three months!

You sort of have to look at current reviews -- this season only. I've stayed at Stovepipe Wells and really enjoyed it -- but it is dependent upon who is staffing it this year. The accommodations are "rustic" at best and I don't know who is running it this year. Same is true with Panamint Springs -- although hands down the best burl bar for hundreds of miles can be found at the Panamint Springs resort.

Even if you can't get a room at the Ahwahnee -- make a point of going there -- the grounds are pretty neat.

I've driven past the Wawona Hotel several times -- but never stopped. In the winter months, elk can often be found in the meadow next to the hotel.