1. Default Things to do while part of the family is in Magic Kingdom

Hello,

My family and I are planning a trip in October to Miami, rent a car and drive to Magic Kingdom.

My husband and I would like to take our son to Magic Kingdom, but my aunt and uncle, who will be travelling with us, would prefer to go somewhere else. Could you tell me what are other attractions there that are not theme parks? We have only one car so we would somehow need to coordinate both attractions (e.g. we drop them off somewhere and pick them up later).

Any suggestions? Thank you so much in advance.

Default Two quick suggestions

Howdy and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. The Coral Castle Museum is quirky and fun. And there are two national parks within an hour or so of Miami -- Everglades and Biscayne National Park.

Mark

Default Everglades would be great.

Yup, the Everglades would be my choice. So much to see there, and yet all so easily covered in time to pick up the family.

Lifey

Default Miami? Magic Kingdom?

I'm confused. Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom is in Orlando, a good three and a half hour drive from Miami. It is simply not possible to see it from a base in Miami. You'd spend half a day getting there and half a day driving back leaving little to no time for the park itself. If you are actually staying in the Orlando area, then the Everglades and the Coral Castle are out as alternate attractions. So, where are you staying?

AZBuck

5. Default

Hello to all and thank you all for your replies.

AZBuck, good point, thank you :). We will not have a base in Miami. We are just flying there. My husband and I have already been to Magic Kingdom and to Everglades so we kind of know the distances. I just did not want to bother you with too much detail in my post but now I see I caused confusion...sorry for that.

We were planning to check the Everglades on our way from Miami up to Orlando, since my aunt and uncle have not been there yet. And my husband and I only took an air-boat ride there then. So Everglades and Coral Castle (thank you for this one!) will be our stops on our way towards Orlando.

Biscayne National Park seems great as well, but is unfortunately too much out of our way.

We then plan to stay somewhere in Orlando area, maybe Kissimmee. In my initial post I was thinking more about things to see in that area (i.e. nearer to Orlando than Miami) besides theme parks. Our base there depends on where could my aunt and uncle go while we go to Magic Kingdom. We have one car so we are kind of flexible, but still dependable on each other, if you see what I mean.

Kasiopea

It seems to me that Orlando has museums, shopping malls, and bus tours. Or, is there a pool where you are all staying? Also seems to me that your aunt and uncle could have some ideas of where to go if they don't want to go to MK or anywhere else in WDW.

Donna

Default The Space Coast.

but my aunt and uncle, who will be travelling with us, would prefer to go somewhere else.
    Have they been to the Space Centre at Cape Canaveral? I am sure it would bring back many memories for them.

Lifey

Default All Within an Hour

Donna is right in that it would help if we knew what their interests were, but within an hour of Orlando are all of the following: Daytona Beach and Daytona International Speedway, the Kennedy Space Center, Bok Tower Gardens, Fantasy of Flight, Canaveral National Seashore, Merritt Island and Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuges, several art museums in Orlando itself, golf courses, lakes, forests, etc., etc., etc.

AZBuck

Default Six non-Disney road trip destinations!

Imagine how effective I would be if only I could read.....?

Nice catch on the geographic blunder -- Orlando versus Miami AZBuck!

And I remembered this article that Anne Sponholtz penned -- that seemed like a perfect match for this query. These are six day trips routes from the Orlando area -- none including any time spent at Disney. Hope this is helpful!

Mark

10. Default

You all have been very helpful, thank you.

Space center is great suggestion, for some reason i forgot about it, although we have seen it the previous time and loved it. Thank you also for the article, Mark. I absolutely agree that there is more to see in Orlando area than Mickey Mouse, but you should take into consideration that we are flying from Europe and each time we come to the States could be the last time, so we must make some selection. And Disney is just part of our childhood memories and for our 4-year old son it will be a dream come true.

As for points of interest, everything is interesting when you travel around the States. Personally i would love to see also the wildlife refuges.

Anyway, thank you for your help. This Forum proved to me as being one of the best once again.