1. Default Jersey to Niagara Falls

My hub and I have a week for a road trip. We live in NJ and we want to get to Niagara Falls and back with some stops every few hours. Never did this before. Suggestions?

Tucson, AZ

Default Starting Point Matters

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Where, a bit more precisely than 'New Jersey', are you starting from?. Routes to Niagara Falls would be completely different if you are starting from Pennsville as opposed to Bergenfield. However, you can get some basic ideas of what's available to you from this discussion, or this one (or both).

3. Default

Thank you. I'm near Princeton.

Tucson, AZ

Default Taking Your Time

Princeton to Niagara Falls is just far enough that if you want a relaxed trip there and back with time to see a few things, then you need to plan on at least two days for the drive each way. Taking different routes on each leg also helps maximize the number of places you can get to on those drives. Such a 'loop' might look something like this, described clockwise.

Head out of Princeton on US-206 and I-287, being sure to stick with US-206 when it leaves I-287 at Bedminster. Continue on up to I-80 and take that east across the southern reaches of the Poconos to I-180 and Williamsport, home of the Little League World Series. Then take US-15/PA-14/NY-14 north to Watkins Glen and the great state park there. The Glen is also home to the racetrack that was the site of the United States Grand Prix for many years. Take county routes 23, 114, 96 and 87 to Hammondsport and then NY-54 to Bath and I-86 west to I-390 to Sonyea where NY-36 will take you by the gem of western New York, Letchworth State Park, to NY-63, I-90 and the Buffalo/Niagara area.

For your return, use US-20 across north central New York, stopping in Senneca Falls to see the national park devoted to the suffragette movement. Then head down NY-96 to Ithaca, and Taughannock Falls State Park for a waterfall even taller than Niagara. NY-79 east from there will get you to I-81 south to Binghamton where you'll switch over to I-86/NY-17 to Hancock NY. Next up is NY-97 south to PA-590 and US-6 east to Milford. From there take US-209 down through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area to I-80 east and retrace your initial route from I-80 to Princeton on US-206.

Those are a couple of great, scenic two day drives between Princeton and Niagara Falls that take you down a number of scenic roads and past several sites worthy of a little time spent out of the car.