1. Default Boston to California with Teen Girls

My family is planning a trip for NEXT summer (Boston - CA). my girls are currently 13 & 16, will be 14 & 17 at time of travel. We have a hybrid and my girls are content in the outdoors, biking, camping, hiking etc. We are debating on hoteling it, better gas mileage and quicker travel time, with a tent for back up. Or taking the camper.

I would LOVE to hear your experiences. Thanks Patty

I've moved your post to its own discussion. The thread you originally posted in hasn't been active for a while, so your best chance to get advice is to ask your own questions in your own forum. - Mod
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-27-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Your own thread.

Hi Patty, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Looks like you have been given your own thread, as the person to whose thread you replied, has not been on the forum for more than 18 months. Hopefully some of the responses on that thread were helpful to you.

How long do you have for your trip. As a rule though, car and hotel/motel will mostly be cheaper than travelling with a camper. If you would care to share more of your plans so far and have questions, feel free to ask. Someone will be along to help.

Tucson, AZ

Default That's the Tradeoff

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, you've pretty much laid out the basic arguments on both sides. Staying in motels saves money on gas but costs extra for lodging, and it saves time both in extra fuel stops and finding someplace to set-up/take-down your camper each night. Similar discussions have come up here repeatedly over the years, and in the end it comes down to a matter of personal choice. There is no simple one-size-fits-all answer to this dilemma. I will say this. If you're still debating the issue it probably means that you're not entirely committed to the RV/camper 'lifestyle' which is usually the best argument on that side of the ledger. Time and money arguments generally argue for traveling light.

The time and money arguments may be particularly apt in the case of a hybrid pulling a camper. They simply weren't designed to do that. What hybrids are good at is getting excellent mileage in urban settings. They do less well on the highway where their mpg actually drops. And they get what good mileage they do get by supplying only the minimal power needed to move them down the road. They are not made for towing. In fact, the first thing I'd suggest you do is pull out your owner's manual and see what, if any, towing capacity your hybrid is rated for. If it is rated to tow your camper, the next step would be a shakedown cruise where you drive a few hundred miles with the camper at highway speeds and see what your actual mileage under those conditions is. I really think you're going to be in for a surprise.

In the end, what may work best for you is a combination of motels and tent camping, deciding on the fly on the basis of weather and campgrounds available where and how to sleep each night.

South of England.

Default Time to enjoy ?

How much time do you have for the trip in total and what's the purpose. [Sight seeing holiday, the destination ? ] It's hard to beat camping in natural surroundings if you are into that, especially if you have time to enjoy and savour those times. I agree with Buck, having the opportunity to camp or take lodgings is appealing, although if you are planning on staying in popular areas such as National parks during summer, booking in advance is recommended. If your vehicle is capable and you have already towed the camper succesfully [it sounds like you already own one] and you have the time and it's a Lifestyle you have tried [and are happy with] it could be a lovely way to spend time with your daughters. I would also say that, if indeed you do own the camper, then it would be more economical than Motels, especially if you are planning to visit tourist areas. Only you can really decide after weighing up the Pros and cons as we all have different tastes.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-28-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Southern California

I'm going to assume that you own the camper and that it's either a motorhome, or a trailer that you tow with another vehicle.

If I owned either a MH or a TT, I would probably take that on my trip. If you already own it, and are spending money to maintain and store it, you may as well use it! Then it's a matter of pulling into a campsite or RV park, hooking up, and enjoying your place to live. RV parks are easy enough to find if you carry some sort of directory with you. And as pointed out, RV parks and campgrounds are usually less expensive than a motel, even with the extra fuel cost thrown in. (That argument flies out the window if you are also paying rent on a rig.) However, you hit the nail on the head with "more travel time" needed with an RV. When we owned our 5W, we never traveled more than 450 interstate miles in one day. Without a 5W, we drive 550-600 miles if we need to "make mileage".

Here is a thread about RV-vs-Car+Motel.