Default Family Trip from Milwaukee, WI, to St. Louis, MO. Any tips?

I'm planning to head out with my two school-age kids with the St. Louis City Museum as our final destination sometime in the next few weeks. I'd like to spend a night in IL, if there's a great stop to be made there, preferably somewhere past the halfway point on the journey. I am open to any suggestions for fun family destinations in IL and MO. Thanks for your help!

Tucson, AZ

Default Here are Some Ideas

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

This report on a two day trip between Milwaukee and St. Louis (made in the reverse direction) might help. Note that further down in that report, we returned from Wisconsin (the Madison area) to St. Louis by an entirely different route that might be more what you had in mind.

Great lead! Thank you - I will check it out.

Green County, Wisconsin

If you're looking for a place to explore in Illinois, Springfield is a great spot. The Lincoln Library and Museum is a personal favorite, that's great for adults, but also has a lot for kids to get engaged with. Of course, there are also lots of other great Lincoln themed stops around town, including the Lincoln Home, Lincoln's tomb just outside of town, and the old state capitol. Make sure to stop and grab a Cozy Dog on your way out of town.

The City Museum is a great place for small children, just be warned, we went there with a middle schooler and were pretty underwhelmed. There was a ton of stuff for kids under say age 10, but we were very disappointed in how little there was for adults and older kids. We've gone to many other childrens museums over the years, and this is the first one where we left within a half hour of arriving.

Southern California

Cahokia Mounds and Dickson Mounds, both in different areas of Illinois, are also worth checking out. But I'll second the motion for Springfield -- the Lincoln home, tomb, the old state capitol, and more.

Maybe the City Museum is an eye of the beholder thing. My first visit was at First Night the first year they were open and I enjoyed it so much I became a member. I was in my fifties at the time. I left St Louis in 2006 after living there for thirty years and were I to visit again one place I would definitely go would be to the City Museum. It changes all the time. There are also also the Science Center and Magic House.