Thread: NOLA Road Trip

1. Default NOLA Road Trip

Hi there,

Forgive me as this is my first post and might be a little rambly.

My soon to be husband and I will be flying to New Orleans in October, we will have a few days there before setting off on a road trip. We will have 18 days roadtripping in total before needing to be back in NOLA to fly home.

We are really interested in including nashville and memphis in our stops. Maximum driving time would be about 5/7 hours per day with 2 day stopovers in the locations we choose to stop at so we are not always on the road and get to explore on foot for a bit.

We love music, food, beer and adventure. We are both active and are not really ones for relaxing on a beach all though not totally against the idea. We will happily camp, hotel, motel.

We firstly were thinking about an east coast trip up to new york and back but not sure we would have enough time with stopping?

If not that then potentially trying to include a bit of texas (austin maybe) and Florida?

I know the plans are obviously very vague at the moment but any direction anyone could give about good fun doable trips in any of these areas based on our time frame would be great.

Thanks again

CS

Default Perfect time of the year for NOLA

Quote Originally Posted by Clares View Post
    Maximum driving time would be about 5/7 hours per day with 2 day stopovers in the locations we choose to stop at so we are not always on the road and get to explore on foot for a bit.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum and congratulations on the pending marriage. Perfect point of view for a mosey-style kind of a road trip. Most likely you will need some quiet time after the rush and effort of the marriage ceremony period and allowing sufficient time to wander is an excellent way to achieve that.

Plus, October is easily the best time of the year for road trips! Weather is great, crowds are less. My favorite time too -- and my wedding anniversary is also in October...

Leaving from NOLA you could travel some of the Great River Road, this early part of the route takes you past some of the best plantations in the area.

Actually, you might scan this list of road trip routes we've created for the SE.

We love music, food, beer and adventure.
    Don't we all. The Shack-up Inn might be of interest....

Here is another thread about a similar honeymoon trip.

More ideas later after you've digested some of these suggestions and perhaps shared some more ideas about your goals...

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-25-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: darned typo

Default A Loop Out of New Orleans

It's certainly possible to hit all the cities you list in the time you have and at the pace you say you want to maintain as long as you're willing to 'settle' for the panhandle of Florida rather than the Atlantic coast. I also agree with your assessment that a RoadTrip to New York (and back presumably) would have you on the road more than you seem to want. And with limiting yourselves to five to seven hours on the road on your driving days you'll have time to explore some of what the south has to offer at an appropriate, laid-back southern pace. And there will be no need to stick solely or even mostly to the Interstates.

So describing such a journey in a clockwise direction, you would leave New Orleans headed for Austin and plan on taking two days to get there. On the first of those days spend some time on the Creole Nature Trail checking out the bayous and then spend the night in Port Arthur. On the second day, either visit the Johnson Space Center in Houston of go around that city to the south along the barrier islands, taking the Boliver Free Ferry from Port Travis to Galveston and then using roads like TX-6/US-90/TX-71 to get to Austin. While in Austin, get to the Salt Lick outside of town.

The next segment would be Austin to Memphis, another two day drive at your preferred pace, and here you'd have a lot of options. Since you didn't mention it in your plans, I'll assume that Dallas is not high on your agenda. A basic route could be built around US-79 to Shreveport (a good overnight stop), a short segment on I-20 past Gibsland where Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down, and US-165/US-82/US-278 to Greenville MS. From Greenville MS-1 will take you up along the Mississippi to Clarksdale and then US-61 into Memphis where the highlights are (besides Graceland) Mud Island, Beale Street, and Sun Studios.

On to Nashville. A nice relaxing drive can be made in a single day using US-64 across southern Tennessee past Shiloh National Battlefield and than picking up the Natchez Trace Parkway at Highland TN and following that on up to Nashville. Nashville to the Florida Panhandle is another two day leg. Taking a scenic route such as US-431 down the eastern side of Alabama, I'd probably be tempted to push a bit farther the first day and make it to Auburn, a college and party town, then continue down through Dothan to Panama City FL the next day. At your leisure, you'd finish your trip by working your way back along the Gulf, taking in Gulf Islands National Seashore, to New Orleans.

AZBuck
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-25-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: errant 3 as a typo

Default Maybe I can stow away?

Great route Buck!

I want to take this trip!

Mark

5. Default

Hi Mark,

Thank so much for this. Apologies I have been away but am going to sit down with my map tonight and start planning a route based on the suggestions you guys have given me.

amazing

Thank you

Clares
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-06-2014 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Removed broken link

6. Default

AzBuck.

Same goes to you this sounds great. You have definitely captured our spirit and what we are trying to achieve.
    Apologies also for the late reply as I have been away with work but am going to sit down with my map tonight and start planning a route based on the suggestions you guys have given me.

amazing help!

Thank you

Clares