Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Pulling a trailer on a new route

Hello RTA!
    My name is Mark and I'm new here. So after searching the web for a long time I finally found your site and am so pleased. The one thing I had been searching the web for was elevation gain and loss along a mapped route. I am new to pulling a trailer and would like to compare our route we will be doing soon to a route I previously did when I pulled the trailer for the first time. We will be leaving in a couple days and was hoping to find a website that could help me with this. It looks like the elevation button is not currently available on the map I made. Is there another way to get this info that someone here may know of maybe even on this site somewhere else? Or could you recommend a site? If it helps we will be leaving from Big Bear Lake, CA, driving to Provo, UT to stay at a KOA then on to the Grand Tetons then up to Yellowstone for a couple days. Then we had straight back home.

Thank you in advance.

2. Default Pulling a trailer on a new route

I am new here and just posted about the need for elevation gain and loss info. Do you know of another way of getting this for a mapped route? Maybe another website or????

Default What is the route?

Mark,

As I just wrote to you in an e-mail....

Unfortunately, the data points for such information are to put it mildly – grossly lame. After working on this component for about three months, we’ve pulled it for now from the RTA Custom Mapping application.

Your best source for useful information would be to post a query on the Great American RoadTrip Forum – (you are already a member) and let one of our road trip enthusiast group members tackle the challenge.
    What is the route you are considering?

There are a number of RV-related sites that might address this issue -- but most of us -- active on this forum -- have driven thousands of miles of roads in the USA and we might be able to assist you with general information.

Mark

4. Default

We will be taking the 15 the entire way once we get off the 18 leading out of Big Bear. I wanted to know where the steep stretches would be and how steep so I can prepare and maybe coordinate those with gas and rest stops. Will have my family of 5 in the truck with me. Three boys ages 5 to 13 in the back seat.

Default OK, almost ready here

Quote Originally Posted by mchristensen View Post
    If it helps we will be leaving from Big Bear Lake, CA, driving to Provo, UT to stay at a KOA then on to the Grand Tetons then up to Yellowstone for a couple days. Then we had straight back home.
    OK, now getting on task here. What is your tow vehicle and what are you towing?

Mark

Default Baker grade

OH, well in that case... Interstate highways are built to accommodate most traffic -- no pass can exceed about 7%.

I am not familiar with this book -- but on the surface it looks like a good match for your interests.

But along your intended march... you need to be aware of the famous "Baker Grade" the road between Baker, California and Halloran Summit Road.. It is about 17 miles long and about 5% to 7% grade. There is another shorter climb over Mountain Pass just before you dive back down to the State Line.

The Virgin River Gorge NW of Las Vegas is reasonable gentle -- albeit beautiful. Most of the rest of I-15 follows the valleys -- although there are elevations gains.

I don't recall other significant elevations gains/losses -- but perhaps other members will check in soon.

Mark

7. Default

Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7L V8. So not the cool HEMI's that are out there. We will be pulling a TrailManor Trailer with a dry weight of 3100lbs. My truck is in good shape I'm just nervous about over heating. I had to open the windows and turn on the heater to blow heat off the engine on our first trip. We made the climb out of Big Pine of the 395 in CA from 4000' to 7600' in 8 miles. That was pretty brutal. Coming down was rough.

8. Default

Thanks for the eBook link. That looks pretty cool.
    I also found this http://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htmElevation tool. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but I see what you mean about the Baker grade. I clicked some points along the 15, 2000' to 4000' really quickly. Wow.

We've towed that route from the 15/10 intersection as far as SLC. The Baker grade can be a doozy, for an interstate. Don't push your engine. Stay to the right and if you think you are super slow, turn on your emergency blinkers.

Donna

I would install an aftermarket transmission cooler with a e-fan, a larger radiator, and a set of e-fans. This should help a lot.