1. Default Uk - nyc - sf .. Help!

Hey everyone!

My friend and I are planning a roadtrip for September / October next year (2015) I basically need some advise, the internets good and everything but being from England, I thought a bit of advise from some locals would be far better!

Our route is currently, (this could be a few miles off we're using roadtrippers.com to plan the route)

Fly from London to New York (or maybe somewhere near by depending on the price)
    New york to Washington
    Washington to Chicago
    Chicago to Iowa
    Iowa to Nashville
    Nashville to Memphis
    Memphis to Alabama
    Alabama to New Orleans
    New Orleans to Houston
    Houston to Dallas
    Dallas to Roswell (along the route 66)
    Roswell to Phoenix
    Phoenix to Vegas
    Vegas to LA
    LA to San Francisco

Then fly back to New York and fly home.

According to our calculations it's a 5452 mile route and we should set aside $936.00 for gas.

We're going to be hiring a car and sleeping in motels - how much should be budget for this?

We will also be stopping at attractions, places of interest etc on the journey & accounting for getting lost (which will no doubt happen once or twice) I'm assuming the gas will be significantly more than predicted.

We have no idea how much to budget for food either.

So all in all, how long do you think this road trip will take (we want to see things and get a real feel of the USA not just do the route in as fast as possible) we were thinking around 4 - 5 weeks?

How much money should we ensure we have on us (we'll probably add a few hundred on top as a cushion for emergencies).

Any feedback would be brilliant!

Thanks everyone!

Denise.

Default A basic outline.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

This would be a reasonably comfortable trip with 4-5 weeks available. The mileage will no doubt increase as just a few detours into the City and other attractions will add up. You can get an idea of car rental costs by putting in your dates and seeing what options come up, usually a mid to full size sedan is the best balance between costs, room and comfort. To save the expense of internal flights and one way drop off fees for your car, which can be significant, you could consider doing a complete loop from NY out to the west coast and back again, taking a northerly route out and a southerly one back. It's certainly a viable option. Rooms can cost from as little as $45 per night, but I would budget for an average of $70-$80 per night. Food costs vary not only from place to place but also from how you want to dine, from a cooler, take aways to posh restuarants. I usually work with a £30 meal in the UK will buy you the same for $30 in the US only you gain from the exchange rate. It's not an exact science but it works OK for me. As for how much money to budget will depend on what you want to do, where you will visit and so on, but after flights and car rental I would look towards $150 per day for two. You could get away with less and you could easily spend a heck of a lot more .

You have a list of Citys but the US is full of quaint towns, historic and State parks, National forests and Lakes and the best of all [in my opinion] the National Parks. It's up to you where you spend your time based on your interests, but you haven't explained what they might be.

September/October is a great time to travel when the main tourist season has passed, the mountains are still accessable in most cases and the desert heat is bearable.

Default A recent thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    To save the expense of internal flights and one way drop off fees for your car, which can be significant, you could consider doing a complete loop from NY out to the west coast and back again, taking a northerly route out and a southerly one back. It's certainly a viable option.
    There is a recent thread, almost the same, but from west to east, which may have some useful information for you. Just that I can't find it. Maybe someone else can. Those folk are also coming from the UK, and also are considering a loop, rather than a straight line across country.

Lifey

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for your zig-zagging back and forth down the middle of the country. From Chicago you're going west to Iowa (where in Iowa?), back east to Nashville, west again to Memphis, back east yet again to Alabama, before finally turning west again to New Orleans.

It should also be noted that while Route 66 did go through Texas and New Mexico, it was a long way away from Dallas and Roswell. The highway hasn't actually existed for about 30 years now, but there are still some sections of the old road if you really want to check it out.

5. Default

Hey thanks for your replies!

We're going to Cedar Rapids in Iowa as we have some friends with we wanna see for a few days otherwise there wouldn't be the detour as such.

The exact route hasn't been 'polished' yet its sort of a rough first draft.

I will have a look at the other thread and see what ideas I can steal from there, thanks!

Thank you for all the information with costings, we're probably going to save about £4000.00 each which would give us $6800.00 which is probably more than enough but I'd rather more than less!

I'll have a look into looping as well rather than flying as we wanted to spend some extra time back in New York at the end so if we can see more states on the way back that would be brilliant! and the gas would probably end up at about the same amount as the flights.

and the gas would probably end up at about the same amount as the flights.
    .....and without the dreaded one way rental fees to add.

Default That loop and how it could work.

Even without adding any other stops, your list of places to hit is an almost perfect fit for a loop trip. On top of that, it would give you a wonderful chance to go through some of the great National Parks in CO, UT, CA and AZ. You have a chance to see all your list and ever so much more, and probably for not many more miles or $$$.

It could look something like... DC, Chicago, IA, RMNP, southern UT National Parks, LV, Death Valley, Yosemite, SF, PCH, LA, GC, Phoenix and all the places in the southern States on the way back to NYC.

If you are planning to rent a vehicle in the US - as opposed to a European Consolidator - be aware that it is much cheaper to rent from NJ than from NY. You may also like to consider renting your vehicle after your visit to DC. Both NYC and DC are not car friendly, but have excellent public transport. There is a good train service between the cities.

Lifey