Default Honeymoon road trip - California

Hi everyone,

My fiancée and myself have been planning our Honeymoon road trip for some time and with only 3 weeks to go, I have started some of the finer planning, routes, places to see/eat at etc

Plan so far...
    - fly into San Fran - 3 nights stay
    - Drive to Yountville - 2 nights stay
    - to Lake Tahoe - 2 nights stay
    - to Yosemite - 3 nights stay
    - to Cambria - 1 night stay
    - to Monterey - 1 night stay
    - back to San Fran - 1 night stay then fly back to UK.

All the accommodation has been booked apart from Cambria.

Just thought I'd ask if you thought we have got the balance right on where we are going and staying. Also, would you recommend any particular routes or things to see on the way....I have already got some things in mind but would like to know if you had any highlights for the journey we have chosen.....

Thanks in advance

Lee

Default That Should All Work

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You're certainly hitting all the highlights of a central California RoadTrip, and you're leaving yourselves enough time in each of the major venues to at least get a good, relaxed taste of why they draw so many visitors. So I wouldn't fault your overall planning at all. As for specific roads and/or stops on your basic route, I would simply note the following. The Napa Valley can look deceptively placid on maps. Leave plenty of time for any drives in this area. Traffic can be heavy and road options are few. Just east of Sacramento is Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, an interesting stop that will tell you much about California. From Yosemite, use CA-41 as your main route southeast to the coast except use CA-46 from Paso Robles to Cambria (software often needlessly routes you farther south). Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is perhaps the gem of the Big Sur state parks and should definitely be on your list.

AZBuck

Default Alcatraz.

Hello and congratulations from 'Good 'ol Sussex by the sea'.

You are in for a wonderful Honeymoon and Yosemite is a very special place. If you head south down US395 you might want to stop at Mono Lake before continuing in to Yosemite on the spectacular Tioga Pass. [CA120] Leave plenty of time for stopping to take in the views. As you turn onto CA120 there is a gas station on the left and if you go up the hill past it there are nice views of the lake. Inside the gas station is a great little diner if you arrive around lunchtime. Make sure you drive up to Glacier point during your stay in Yosemite and you will also find the giant Sequoia trees at Mariposa Grove.

If you plan on visiting Alcatraz during your time in SF [highly recomended] I would advise you to book in advance. Use the official National park service site to book the boat ride to avoid agents fees. Evening tours are popular so you can watch the city light up from the Island.

Have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post

You're certainly hitting all the highlights of a central California RoadTrip, and you're leaving yourselves enough time in each of the major venues to at least get a good, relaxed taste of why they draw so many visitors. So I wouldn't fault your overall planning at all.
    Brilliant, relaxed is what we are after...thank you!