1. Default North of Yellowstone?

Hi there.

We'll be driving from Wisconsin to Alaska again this summer and would like to stop near Yellowstone this year. I've been there before so we don't want to take a long detour to go into the park. Bozeman, however, is only a couple hours out of the way.

I assume there are some nice campgrounds there and lots of wildlife like in the park? Can you recommend a campground (need electric, and preferably well treed sites so our dogs won't be as barky)?

Also, are there any cool views / geysers / hot springs in that area?

Melbourne, Australia

Default A bit further north.

Which route are you taking to AK?

Years ago I stayed at a cool campground in St Ignatius. It was actually north of St Ignatius. I stayed in the 'hostel', which was part of the park - a building built into the side of the hill. The mountains behind the place I was told, are full of wildlife. There certainly were lots of deer on the roads. Mind you, all this is some thirteen years ago, so things may have changed. I know it is still there. There is a sign pointing to it outside the National Bison Range, north of Missoula, That too is a great place to visit, if you have never been there.

Tucson, AZ

Default Quite Right

The Bozeman area has a wealth of scenic opportunities besides 'just' access to Yellowstone. As far as wooded campgrounds with plenty of wildlife, I'd first check out the National Forests in the are: Gallatin, Lewis and Clark, and Beaverhead-Deerlodge. All of those have numerous campgrounds, but none of those seem to have electricity. The next step 'up' would be the Montana state park system, specifically, Lewis and Clark Caverns SP which does have RV sites, so presumably electrical service. Here's a site that should help you locate hot springs. Cool Views are everywhere!

Default Geysers, etc

Hi Sara,

If there are Yellowstone-type geysers, hot springs, and mudpots outside of YNP, and located in places one can drive an RV to it's news to me. There are a number of natural hot springs, developed, semi-developed, and entirely natural, and AZ Buck has provided a good link to them. One of the developed hot springs which has caught my eye, but to which I've never ventured, is Chico Hot Springs, along US 89 some 20-25 miles south of Livingston, itself on the east side of Bozeman Pass along I-90. A quick glance at their website does NOT show on-site camping, but they've got some interesting-looking accomodations.

Much more remote are the developed hot springs at Elkhorn HS and Jackson HS. Elkhorn is quite rustic, and be aware one man's rustic is another man's "rough". Jackson HS is in the "town" of Jackson in the spectacular Big Hole. I recall Jackson HS offers campsites in addition to motel rooms and cabins. The Big Hole is in the far southwest corner of Montana, so approaching from I-90 would involve either I-15 south from Butte or MT 41 south from I-90 east of Butte,through Dillon, to MT 278. From Jackson, it's probably 2.5 hours over to US 93 and north to Missoula.

There are developed hot springs in the vicinity of Whitehall, if I recall correctly, not far off of I-90.

Over on the Idaho side of the line, Jerry Johnson and Weir HS are along US 12, each being entirely natural (right down to clothing-optional) and each being a 30 minute walk, + or -, from US 12. Lolo HS is a developed HS at the ID-MT state line at Lolo Pass.