Default Roundtrip Raleigh 2 week RV trip

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to go on our first RV trip at the end of Sept. The only thing holding us up on booking is an itinerary. We will be traveling in RV and hooking up at campsites. We will have our two dogs with us and would like to do dog friendly excursions like hiking.
    Does anyone know where I can get a 2 wk roundtrip itinerary. Thank you for any guidance.

First time RVers

Default The Thing Is...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

...with two weeks and an RV, you can get just about anywhere in the contiguous 48 states. So we really can't help you much until you pick a basic itinerary, or at least a general target area that you'd like to get to.

AZBuck

I have to agree with Buck, with 2 weeks, you really can go almost anywhere in the US and even much of Canada. Even the west coast is possible, although I probably wouldn't recommend going quite that far, because it would require you to spend the vast majority of your trip behind the wheel, but even the Rockies are certainly within range.

With your dogs, I would probably not recommend National Parks, as most of them are very limiting on where you can go with your dogs, and they usually are not allowed on hiking trails. National Forest lands, as well as state parks, are often a better bet for enjoying the outdoors when traveling with pets.

I was not sure how far we can go out and still see things being that it is a round trip. Maybe Yosemite (I know we cannot bring the dogs but is there rv hookup there so they can be in the ac?) I was thinking Wyoming, Colorado, that area...

I guess looking for advice we have never been in the midwest, or west. We would not like to do East coast.

Default A lot of your time driving.

As first time RV'ers I think Yosemite is too ambitous with the amount of time you have. It would equal out to 10 to 11 days of driving out and back for 3 or 4 days in Yosemite. Colorado and Wyoming [or Utah] would be more realistic, taking different routes each way. Keep in mind though, that even then you would have a weeks driving out to the Denver area and back and then whatever driving/exploring you want to do from there.

You should get out a good map of the US and read around the RTA forums for inspiration and when you have found what you are looking for we can help piece it together.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-22-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Typo.

As I mentioned previously, I think the West Coast (including Yosemite) would probably be too much, unless you are ok with spending the vast majority of your time behind the wheel.

Maybe the better questions is how much driving do you want to do, in comparison to time spent at a location. You could get to Colorado or Wyoming in about 4 days of driving, each way. Yosemite would require close to 6 days each way.

Be aware, be it Yosemite or any other National Park, there are a very limited number of camping spots with hookups within the National Parks. Even in late September, most of the sites with hookups may very well be booked up already.

Sorry I totally misspoke. I had meant to say Yellowstone. I think the idea of Wyoming and Colorado is winning out. I am going to look into if there would be a hookup available. Perhaps we should have had this idea months ago versus now and wanting to go in September!
    Thank you so much for your ideas and patience w me :)

Default 'Best' May Be Less Than 'Most'

RoadTrips are often at their best when they can be taken at a relaxed pace, through scenic and historic areas, with plenty of time to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. That means not going as far as you possibly can, or fitting in as many stops as you can, but making the entire experience as pleasurable as possible. This will be especially true on your first major trip as neophyte RVers. Keeping it simple and on a scale that doesn't induce stress every day is, hopefully, going to keep you wanting more, not wishing you had never thought of the idea.

So, with all that in mind, I would think that Yellowstone would be too much for a first endeavor. As others have pointed out, you'd be spending the vast majority of your time pushing your 'mobile' home down the road, and not enough time seeing very much on the way. You wouldn't have to cut back very much from your farthest goal to make this all possible. If you turned around a day short of Yellowstone, that would put two more days in your 'travel' time, but would also open up the trip far more than that. Rather than concentrating on not getting to Yellowstone, think instead about all the places you would be getting to see in depth rather than grinding on by them so that you could spend just a few days at Yellowstone. Such a trip might encompass most but not all of the following: the Great Smoky Mountains, the Ozarks, portions of Lewis and Clark's journey, the Oregon Trail, just a taste of the Rockies, the Black Hills, the Great Plains, Lincoln sites, a couple of Amish communities, Civil War Battlefields, and historic sites of the country's founding.

AZBuck

Default Further to the above.

Whereas not as visually spectacular as the west, the middle States have so much to offer, as outlined above. The extra benefit would be with school back and most holidays over, you are more likely to find hook up accommodation without any problems. Having an RV allows you to linger in a place or two which you really like, or simply move on when looking for something else.

Enjoy.

Lifey

Another problem with Yellowstone: by the end of September, when this trip is supposed to take place, much of Yellowstone will be on the verge of closing. It is a very short season there, from mid-to-late May, to mid-to-late September. Some things are open till October, but not many. I'm not sure that Fishing Bridge RV, the only campground in Yellowstone with hookups, will still be open at the end of September. Yet another issue with Yellowstone -- you should definitely learn how to maneuver your rig over mountains, and how to winterize it. We were just there about 10 days ago, and nights were in the 40s already. It's at a high elevation, that's why.

My husband and ensured that our first RV trip was closer to home. We did one or two weekends where we were close enough to home, as a "shake-down cruise". Then our first trip was about 1800 miles from home. You should consider a shake-down cruise or two, close to home, if you haven't already. For the longer trip, consider Mammoth Cave (KY), Great Smoky Mountains (TN), and similar -- so close, and yet so far!

Donna