Default Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles to San Francisco

Hello All,

I will be arriving with my family from Kenya on the 29th of August. We land in san francisco and drive to vegas. We spend a few days there then drive to los angeles where we spend another few days and then drive back up to san francisco for another few days before we head off for our alaskan cruise.

What i would like to know is, what are best routes to take heading to each place? Highways and the routes off mapquest would be the quickest but we would like to catch in some sites as well as enjoy the drives to each place.

So i would like help on the following routes;

1) Las Vegas to Los Angeles
    2) Los Angeles to San Francisco

Also please note we only have day drives to each place so please suggest accordingly.

Thank you all and look forward to cruising the American roads! :)

Default Can you adjust your time ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Is there any way you could shorten your 'few days' in the City's and make an overnight stop between SF and LV and LA to SF ? SF to LV is a very full day on the road with no real time to sight see. If you could stop overnight you could drive to Yosemite NP on day 1 and through Death valley on day 2, otherwise you are looking at a 10 hour drive on Interstate. Between LA and SF you have the amazing coastal drive around Big Sur, but it's only really possible with an overnight stop. I don't think you would have any regrets as the National parks and coast are quite amazing places and it would be a shame to miss out on it all,

Default The contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by TahaB View Post
    ... but we would like to catch in some sites as well as enjoy the drives to each place.

>>>>

Also please note we only have day drives to each place so please suggest accordingly.
    From Mapquest and other computer programs, you will not have got the complete picture. Hence the contradiction - as we see it, like above - in these two statements in your post. As well as responding to your request, it would be remiss of those of us who have driven these routes, in many cases more than once, to point out not only the contradiction, but just what it is you would be missing.

One of the most direct ways to get to LV from SF is as mentioned above. It is not only direct, it traverses one of the great national parks in North America. As a one day drive it would not be 'enjoyable', made even worse by not being able to stop to even take a photo as you pass by some of the most wonderful sites you can see.

Similarly with the drive from LA to SF. It can be driven in one day, straight up the interstate. While only a short distance to the west is the Pacific Coast Highway, with some of the most spectacular coastal scenery and wildlife. It cannot be driven in a day.

You obviously have good reason to be in the cities you mention for the days you plan to be there, but I sincerely hope you now see the contradiction in your post.

Lifey
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-21-2014 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.