Default Advice on Hoover Dam powerplant tour

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me some advice on the above. I have booked tickets for the Powerplant tour-the website is very confusing.....and I'm not sure this is the best option. Would really like to do the whole thing including walking on top of the dam but as far as I can make out, you can only book this when you get there-does this mean that I would have to pay for a full tour on top of what I've paid for the Powerplant tour?

Also, would like to visit the new bridge afterwards. Is this easy to get to from the dam?

Many thanks!!

Default Hoover Dam is very cool

I've done the tour a bunch of times over the years. It's very cool. It has changed a bit over time -- as the need for more security prevents access to certain areas.

1. Anyone can walk on the top of the dam. There are no restrictions -- that I am aware of.

2. You will see the bridge as you approach the dam visitor area -- you drive nearly under it. But to walk on the new bridge you will stop at the visitor parking lot about 1/2 mile before you reach the dam visitor area. There are plenty of signs. And great photo ops from the pedestrian walkway on the bridge of the dam and etc.

3. Powerplant versus main tour -- I will check on this.

In the meantime -- here is an article about walking on the Mike O’Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge

Default No worries -- you will see most of it!

From the BLM site:
    "...Note: The Dam Tour includes a 1-hour guided tour of the powerplant and passageways within the dam itself, and admission to the Visitor Center; the Powerplant Tour includes a 30-minute guided tour of the powerplant only, and admission to the Visitor Center..."
    On the basis of that -- I've done both tours. The Powerplant Tour is fine and you can still walk on the top of the dam!

For several years (right after September, 2011) the Powerpoint was the only tour offered. So, you will see plenty.

Here is one of the articles we published back in 2000 about the Dam tour.

And an updated version from a 2004 tour.

Enjoy the tour!

Mark

Thanks so much Mark, for the info and articles-really looking forward to it. I'm sure our 10 year old son will think it's amazing!

Default Clark County Museum!

One of the best parts of the tour is the movie at the beginning of the tour -- you have to ignore the propaganda aspects -- but the footage is great. And the scale model of the area in the visitor's area (on the dam side of the road) -- your tickets will give you access is very cool.

On your way back -- there are two other attractions that I know 10-year olds like.

The first is the Clark County Museum -- on Boulder Highway as you re-enter town. Kids have a total blast here. And it is one of my favorite museums in the country. They have a heritage street with representative houses from several decades in the LV area -- all decorated as they would have been. Megan's article...

Ethel M Chocolate Factory also in Henderson...

Megan Edwards once worked as a Chocolatier on the chocolate factory tour. It's changed a bit since we published this article -- but every visitor still gets a "free" taste!

One of the best-kept secrets is the holiday decorations at the Clark County Museum -- here is one of our articles that describes some of the exhibits in more detail. (I know you are not visiting in December, but you can still get a sense of why I like this place).

Here is a piece of the ghost town part of the museum...

mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-20-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: more info

I don't know if they still do it, but my kids also loved the marshmallow factory tour in Henderson.

Donna

UPDATE: Oh, guess they don't do that factory tour any more. Sorry!
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 07-19-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Clark County Museum is an amazing place. I heartedly agree with Mark. If you have ever seen the TV showm American Restoration, you might have seen some of it. Rick often restores items for the Museum.

Lifey

Default More about the Marshmallow factory

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    I don't know if they still do it, but my kids also loved the marshmallow factory tour in Henderson. UPDATE: Oh, guess they don't do that factory tour any more. Sorry!
    The original factory in Henderson was destroyed in the Pepcon explosion on May 4, 1988. The Kidd Marshmallow factory was rebuilt a couple of years later, a couple of miles away and as long as it was owned by the Kidd family they offered tours. It was sold to Favorite Brands International in 1996. Shortly after that the tours were shut down.

In 1999, Nabisco Foods acquired Favorite Brands and the marshmallow production was turned over to Kraft Foods. In 2001, the Kraft marshmallow plant in Henderson shut down for good. All of the remaining production equipment was either disposed of or sent to a Krafts Food plant in Kendallville, Indiana.

We toured it in either March or April, 1998, right after purchasing our 5th wheel. Such a shame that the tours ceased; my daughters really liked that tour, and the Ethel M chocolate factory tour!

Donna