1. Default Questions about driving 101 from Monterrey CA to Florence OR (with boat)

I have a question. We will be driving from Monterrey CA to Florence OR, hauling a fishing boat. Main question is, will we regret doing this pulling a boat trailer? (We are used to driving with the boat on 101 along the Oregon coast. If it's no tougher than that, we will be fine.) Second question is, as we plan for the trip to take two days, are there any recommendations about a good half-way point to spend the night? Eureka? Ferndale? Or somewhere further north? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tucson, AZ

Default Not Because of the Road

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you are used to driving US-101 along the coast in Oregon, you shouldn't find too much difference in the grades on US-101/CA-1 in California. There are two spots that my wife and I encountered when we drove those routes last year that warrant mention: Around Mendocino several bridges on CA-1 were undergoing repair resulting in short delays, but those should have been completed by now. And CA-1 between the coast and Leggett is narrow and twisty with minimal passing opportunities. Logging trucks use it, so you should have no problems, but we got stuck behind a gawker who refused to heed the signs telling slower traffic to use pull-outs and thus developed quite a line of angry people behind him. Be courteous if you find yourself in a similar situation. Otherwise, US-101 in California is mostly freeway quality except where it goes through the occasional small town in northern California, and of course is subject to rush hour jams in and around the Bay area.

Oh, and probably your best bet for a half way stopping point would be Redway CA outside Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Avenue of the Giants.

If you follow the advice above, you might think about doing the short detour through The Avenue of Giants. That road is capable of taking a trailer and I don't think there is anything to stop it.