Default Planning a 48 State Roadtrip With Dogs

My husband and I are trying to plan a 48 state roadtrip next year. We will have our two large dogs with us (Great Dane Mix/Bulldog). We are looking to be on the road for around 3-5 months.

If we were to get an RV/Trailer, would we be limited by the things we can go see because dogs are not allowed in the national parks/attractions? Are you allowed to leave dogs in an RV/Trailer, as long as the tempature is controlled? Our other option was to stay at Motel 6's and campgrounds that allowed dogs, but we feel all the packing up and moving from one hotel to another might get frustrating. Having an RV is more expensive due to us having to purchase an RV but is it worth it for convience?

Has anyone else had this decision, and found one option was better than another?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Dog friendly places?

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Whereas pet friendly hotels/motels are commonplace across the country, they often have restrictions on the number of animals (2) and size. And no, you cannot leave dogs unattended in hotels or motels. As for leaving them in an RV, even temperature controlled, you would need to check with the RV parks you plan to use. From a personal point of view, I would regard that as cruel.

You may be better planning your trip to visit only places which allow animals, or board them out while you are on the road.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

From experience -- we have traveled with a dog, as tent campers, pop-up tent trailer, and 5W travel trailer. Most commercial campgrounds will be fine with your dogs inside your own hard-sided rig, as long as they are not incessant barkers. If it's temperature controlled, because you leave the A/C on for them, make sure that the RV park knows that you will be leaving your dogs inside, in case of a power outage. Leaving them inside an A/C'd rig, if they're used to staying home alone anyway, is probably for the best. However, if the A/C goes off, the RV would become very hot pretty quickly unless all of the blinds were closed -- then it would be a slower build-up. That would be cruel to the dogs.

National parks aren't real thrilled about dogs in cars, for several reasons. First, they often bark at wildlife, scaring them away. Second, what do you do with them if you want to take a 1/2 mile walk up to an observation point, or just inside the visitor center? They're not allowed on trails or inside buildings. Just the other day, we observed two small chihuahuas stuck inside a car with the windows cracked, in hot temperatures at the Badlands, and another larger one in a car whose window was down about 5". All of them barked at us as we went by. I felt sorry for the dogs, as I'm SURE those cars were hot inside even with the windows cracked. To me, that's even crueler.

Thanks for the responses! We would never want to put our dogs in harms way, as they are like children to us. This is why we are having a hard time choosing what the best option is as far as transportation/lodging goes. I think our best option would be to find dog friendly motels and only go to dog friendly attractions. :)