1. Default Yellowstone or the Pacific Highway?

Planning our honeymoon road trip next summer. We are undecided where we'll go from the Grand Canyon area.

I've been to Yellowstone before (hubby has not) and I loved it, but I'd like to see something different. My main priorities are avoiding big cities and traffic, and seeing lots of wildlife and new/exciting scenery.

The West Coast interests me, but is the Pacific highway super busy? And will I see much in terms of wildlife? Are the Redwoods and Olympia Natl Park all they're cracked up to be?

Where would you go?? :)

Tucson, AZ

Default Choose Wisely

It has become more and more the norm in recent years for weddings (and honeymoons) to be treated as once-in-a-lifetime events (even as statistics show that most marriages now end in divorce.) With this new attitude comes the belief that there should be no limit to the amount of money spent on the wedding, or to the number of adventures crammed into the honeymoon. I would argue that both expectations run counter to what makes a good marriage (I recently celebrated my 25th anniversary.) First, the wedding. This will often be your first big financial decision taken jointly as a couple. To put yourselves tens of thousands of dollars in debt at the start of your life together simply creates a hole that you need to dig out of and puts an undue and unnecessary stress on your new family. It's similar with an overambitious honeymoon plan. Besides spending even more money (that most new couples don't have) trying to do too much means that you will have a stressful trip. Driving too much, rushing to get to too many places, dividing your attention, etc. - all take away from the principle reason for a honeymoon, namely for the couple to have a relaxed and enjoyable time together so as to get their married life off to a proper start.

So, If I were offering advice (and it seems as though I am!) I would stay within a day's drive of the Grand Canyon if that is going to be the main focus of your honeymoon. There is certainly a lot to do and see in that area. If you simply took up 'residence' in Flagstaff, you could do any number of day trips returning each evening to the same lodgings and thus cutting down substantially on the packing/unpacking/driving/and other stresses associated with heavy Roadtrip travel. Among the sites in or near Flagstaff are: Sunset Crater, Wupatki, and Walnut Canyon National Monuments, Petrified Forest National Park and the Painted Desert, Meteor Crater, Oak Creek Canyon, Slide Rock State Park, the Museum of Northern Arizona, Lowell Observatory, Sedona, Jerome, Dead Horse Ranch State Park, Tuzigoot National Monument, Sycamore Canyon Wilderness, Coconino- Prescott- Kaibab- and Tonto- National Forests.

If I were looking to go a bit farther afield and do a bit more driving, but still trying to preserve the essence of a relaxed honeymoon, I'd look at doing a broad loop around the Grand Canyon taking in the Four Corners area with Mesa Verde National Park and Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, across southern Utah through Vermillion Cliffs and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments, visits to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks as well as Cedar Breaks National Monument, perhaps a stop in St. George to visit the home of Brigham Young and his 63 wives, a turn in Las Vegas, and a return to the Flagstaff area or to wherever you're actually flying into /out of.