1. Default Denver to San Francisco in October

I'm planning to travel mid October with my two teen daughters and 11-year-old son. My husband is unable to take as much vacation time so he will be flying and we'll pick him up in San Jose. Trying to find the best route to get us there quickly. It doesn't need to be scenic. I'm thinking of taking I 25 through Fort Collins to Wyoming and then west so we can make a stop at Colorado State University for a campus tour. Otherwise I will take I 70 through Grand Junction Colorado, and Nevada. Which route would be the easiest to travel alone with three kids? I want to make this trip in two days.

Default A long way for two days.

Is this the same trip you were planning back in February?

At more than 1200 miles this will be a solid two days' drive without sightseeing. You will need to go further than professional drivers are allowed, each day, for safety reasons. You won't have much, if any time to check out the university campus.

I-70 terminates at I-15, with US-50 taking you across NV to Carson City.

Lifey

Default Tough ask for Kids.

I agree. To do this trip in 2 days is not going to be fun and is pushing the limits of remaining alert and focused for safety reasons. It's going to be around 2 x 11 hour days with only the basic stops, the first day being tough and the second one a lot tougher just knowing you have to do the same again. If you want to visit a campus then you are going to have to add another overnight stop, if not you would be looking at West Wendover for an overnight stop along the I80 route, or Baker NV if you took I70/US50 where there are limited lodgings. I would urge you to take another stop as it will be even tougher on the Kids being couped up in a car for so long together and things could get tense.

Default time limits

Quote Originally Posted by lorigal70 View Post
    Otherwise I will take I 70 through Grand Junction Colorado, and Nevada. Which route would be the easiest to travel alone with three kids? I want to make this trip in two days.
    If you want to make this trip in 2 days, then I think your only real option is to do I-25 to I-80, skip the campus visit, and overnight in Wendover.

As others have mentioned, this will already be two hard days on the road, which means you should look at taking the easiest and fastest route. That means sticking to the Interstates. As others have mentioned, I-70 doesn't go into Nevada, and you'd have to take 2 lane US-50. While that is a very desolate road (known as the loneliest road in America) and you would have relatively few slowdowns, it it still is not as fast as just sticking with I-80.