1. Default Upstate NY to Denver

I am planning a road trip from upstate NY to Denver beginning august 20th for about a week. I have planned it out pretty nicely, however I hit a dry spell in North Dakota. I will be traveling along I 94 from Fargo (through Bismark) and arriving in Rapid city. It's an 8 hour drive and was hoping to find something fun to do/see along the way. Anyone have any ideas?

Default More Questions than Answers

In order to really be of much help, we're going to need a good bit more information. Such as: Where, at least a bit more precisely than 'Upstate New York', will you be starting from? Is this a one way or round trip journey? Why North Dakota? Do you mind paying tolls? Driving through large cities (e.g. Chicago)? Do you have a passport and is Canada a possibility? What are your interests? Is this the same trip you asked about before, and if so - snowboarding in August?

You see, the entire Zen of RoadTripping is that the journey is a very personal thing. There are no single 'best' answers and the more we know about what you have planned the more spot on our advice can be.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-10-2014 at 09:02 AM.

I have to agree with Buck, while you say you have come up with a good plan, without knowing some of the details and what else you are planning, its hard to have any insight into what you are thinking and what you might enjoy.

What is bringing you to North Dakota in the first place (it's certainly not on the direct route to Denver from anywhere in NY.) and then why have you decided to go onto Bismarck, which isn't on the direct route to Rapid City? Be aware, factoring in the 2 lane roads, This is going to be more like 9-10 hours on the road, not an 8 hour drive, before you think about any extra stops.

Bismarck is definitely NOT in the direct line to Rapid City. It's north of there about 250 miles -- I know, we are about to drive from Bismarck to Rapid City.

At Bismarck, if you are interested in Lewis & Clark history, be sure to stop at the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center about 38 miles north in Washburn. Then take the 2 mile drive down the road to see a replica of Fort Mandan, and another small museum. We love history, are pretty up on Lewis & Clark and why they were so important to the US, and we learned a LOT. (I'll be writing this portion of our trip up on our trip report pretty shortly.)

Also in the area is Fort Abraham Lincoln, and to the west is the Teddy Roosevelt Grasslands NP.

I will warn you that lodgings are not very cheap in this region. Bismarck's least expensive spots are around $90/night (Motel 6 is about $10 cheaper). In the Teddy Roosevelt NP region, prices were $150-175/night for the same chains. (We looked into going, but decided to hold that one for a later trip.)

About the most direct way to go from Bismarck to Rapid City is to get on I-94 east, then head south on US-83. That's a 2-lane for about 200+ miles. (Sorry, exact mileage is out in my vehicle.) Then west on I-90. Unless you've got a good reason to go to Bismarck (as we did), head south at Fargo on I-29 until you get to I-90 in South Dakota.

Donna

Default May as well include it all.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Bismarck is definitely NOT in the direct line to Rapid City. It's north of there about 250 miles -- I know, we are about to drive from Bismarck to Rapid City.

At Bismarck, if you are interested in Lewis & Clark history, be sure to stop at the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center about 38 miles north in Washburn. Then take the 2 mile drive down the road to see a replica of Fort Mandan, and another small museum.
    .... and eight electro magnetic towers!

Lifey