Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The beginning of a plan ............

Just introducing myself. From the UK, regular visitors to the States. Last year we went North of SF up the coast to Eureka and then cut over to Truckee (many people ask why) and down to Yosemite

I am just beginning to plan a trip with my wife for next year from New York or thereabouts to my favourite city so far in the US, San Francisco.

We're going to take as long as it takes on the trip, and the only thing that has been stopping me so far had been the difficulty I was experiencing finding a car hire company that would let me collect NY and drop off SFO without charging me more than the car rental for the privilege.

I think I found a site now that seems to charge €400, so I'm cool with that.

I think it will be a months journey, maybe more. I'm busy deciding on a route right now and I think it will loosely be NY, Washington, through West Virginia, up towards Chicago, over to South Dakota, down through Wyoming to Colorado, through Salt Lake to SF.

No doubt I'll be asking lots of questions along the way here :-)

Default Side Matters

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It does make a difference where you procure your car hire. People seem to do much better, especially in getting add-on- fees such as underage driver or one-way drop-off fees reduced or eliminated, by setting up their car hires through a European consolidator rather than dealing directly with the U.S. firms. Some such consolidators that you may want to have a look at in this regard are Carhire3000 (now Rentalcars.com), Europcar, Autoeurope, and others.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-10-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks for that. I was assuming that I had a better chance of getting a good deal in the US ... although it's often a bit of a battle. Some of the hire companies you have on your links don't actually specify what the one way hire fee will be until you actually book. The fee is often hidden, and you really have to search hard.

I will look for those, thanks .... the best I found so far was, would you believe, by going through Netflights.

Default Thought of a loop?

With '... a months journey, maybe more', it may pay you to look at a loop trip. It could save you a bit on air fares as well.

Lifey

I wouldn't ask why you went from Eureka to Truckee -- that is a trip we've done before, and it's a beautiful one!

I would have also recommended trying a European consolidator, so I'm glad someone already did that.

NYC to San Francisco in a month or more -- as said, you could make it a loop and see a lot of things coming and going.

Donna

Thanks both. Actually last night I realised how difficult it is trying to plan this. I made a rough list of where we thought of going and it's all over the North, leaving the South untouched. Of course there is the extra fuel, but then again I wouldn't be paying the one way fees.

On the last trip we started off in SF, went to Mendocino and Eureka followed by Redding and Truckee before dropping South. I even had someone in Truckee ask me why I had bothered to come there! The trip was stunning though.

Anyone here have any experience of Argus for car Hire?

Dumb question :-)
    Is the a US equivalent of Booking.com for hotels etc there in the US?

Ive been trying to work out if it's cheaper to hire an RV rather than car & hotels, and I'm pretty sure the car option is more economical. I AM looking at the round trip now as suggested, rather than the one way. Might do Boston SF instead on the way out and then cut down to the South on the way back. Might even extend it to 1.5 months

We have a whole thread about RV vs. car+motels. It works out in the car favor almost every time. An RV is a lifestyle choice, not one for saving money.

For booking motels: here on this site, there's a motel booking place. There's also hotels.com, which I have used. Plus we are members of AAA, so we could use them (never have). Also, we have used the Wyndham and Choice sites for booking.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    We have a whole thread about RV vs. car+motels. It works out in the car favor almost every time. An RV is a lifestyle choice, not one for saving money.

For booking motels: here on this site, there's a motel booking place. There's also hotels.com, which I have used. Plus we are members of AAA, so we could use them (never have). Also, we have used the Wyndham and Choice sites for booking.

Donna
    Thanks for that Donna, yes I looked at the site on here and the prices are the same as bookings.com, so I guess it gives me an idea then for planning, thanks

Yes, I guessed the car would win out over RV but it's nice to have it confirmed :-)

Default Thinking of Booking......

While you are thinking of getting things organised, make sure that when you have your dates, and the route, that you check for public holidays and special events in the places you plan on visiting. These are the ones where I would book accommodation first. The other high priority, if you are going to national parks, is booking accommodation within the park. These are all times and places which will book out many months before the dates.

Lifey