1. Default San Antonio TX to Washington DC road trip

Family Road trip from San Antonio to Washington DC 2 adult drivers 3 teenagers, need advise best route plan in driving straight to DC have a total of 8 days to take, suggestions on where to stay,eat we are there to visit most of the national monuments. Would like to see Gettysburg on the way back home or should we get there 1st? Maybe the Hersey factory ?? View of the black hills, recommend sights to drive through on way back?

South of England.

Default "Straight to DC" ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

plan in driving straight to DC
    You do realise that this will require 2 overnight stops and the best part of 3 days each way ? That leaves you just 2 days in DC with minimum sight seeing on route.

Tucson, AZ

Default Too Much

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Here's the thing. You'll need at least three days to drive from San Antonio to Washington DC, and three days to drive back. That only leaves you two days to spend actually stopping at sites along the way, visiting the national monuments in DC, Gettysburg, Hershey, and/or the Blue Ridge. (The Black Hills are in South Dakota.) So the first thing you're going to have to decide is: What are the priorities for this trip? Once you do that, we can try to help you make the most of the limited time you have, but right now you simply have too much in your wish list.

Southern California

We just went to Gettysburg, about a week ago. You can whip through in a few hours, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would save it for a time when you have at least a full day, possibly two, to be able to really comprehend what you're looking at.

As AZBuck suggested, decide on your priorities. Allow 6 days for the round-trip drive, and decide what the other two days will consist of.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Make the most of DC.

As per the above, I would devote the whole time to DC. Especially with teenagers, there is so much to see and learn about history. For me, two days is nowhere near enough. I would spend a full day, just at the Vietnam Wall to take in its significance, its futility and its message to never let it happen again. The holocaust museum is another through which you cannot hurry... but then, that goes for most of the Smithsonian. Plus you have all the other great national monuments, all of which take time to stand in line to see. Don't underestimate how much time you will spend just waiting in line.