New to the forum here. Just posted a long one but seems like it didn't actually get posted, so here goes another try. I've gone through numerous posts on similar topics and learned a lot. Based on that I'm trying to put together a 14-16 Day road trip for 2 families - 4 adults (mid 30's), 1 adult (60's) and 4 children (7,6,5,4) - from Northern NJ to Orlando in early August in 2 vans.
We are planning on staying in Orlando for 8 days, which gives us 6~8 days to drive up and down. We are making sure we follow these rules:
1. Kids must enjoy each stop/activity during the day - Adults can drink at night
2. Maximum driving at 6~8 hours per day (my wife is pregnant)
3. Proper sleeping each night (no sleeping in the car/overnight driving)
4. Have a memorable trip in the US (4 members are visiting from out of the country)
I was thinking of doing the following travel schedule
1. Leave NJ/NYC
2. 1 night in Philly (Museum, Historical district)
3. 1 night in DC (white house)
Stop by: Shenandoah (rafting ??? )
Drive by: Blue Ridge Pkwy ???
4. 1 night near Charlotte / Raleigh / Chapel Hill ???
Stop by: some beach in Northeast FL (St Augustine / Daytona ???)
5. 7 nights in Orlando
6. 1 night in Savannah or Charleston ??? (Activities ???)
7. 1 night near Chesapeake (Activities ???)
Drive by: CBBT
8. 1 night in AC or Ocean city ???
9. Back to NJ/NYC
What are your thoughts on this schedule?
I’ve thrown in quite a few places I did not have in mind after going through the forum. I also sensed aversion to i-95, which I completely concur with – especially between NYC and DC + 495. That said, I would very much appreciate any comments/suggestions/guidance on the itinerary above as well as suggested routes from point to point. I’ve highlighted areas I have questions on with ???
This is our first road trip as a family and we are very excited. I am glad that I found such a knowledgeable and active forum!