1. Default Los Angeles, CA to Providence, RI

Hello
    I'm planning a solo cross country trip from LA to Providence.
    I would like somewhat of a scenic route and a few stops where I could potentially find some great vintage clothing, like flea markets or fairs etc.
    I really want to be inspired and take some good photos. I like the sound of passing through reservations or anywhere that could appeal to my craft/folk side.
    I would like the safest roads as the only thing I'm nervous about is having a Prius and getting stuck in a town that doesn't know how to deal with them. I recently had it updated and full serviced last week but when it broke down, even the triple a two driver (in LA) didn't know what to do aside tow it at 2 am to "my" mechanic.
    Also, I am not sure I want to drive back. Averagely how much would it cost to ship back?
    Thank you.

Welcome to RTA!

Let's face it, anything mechanical is likely to break at some time or another. I can recount plenty of instances where we were traveling and our vehicle had a breakdown. Many times, the AAA tow truck drivers are very good at how to get a vehicle to the mechanic, but may not be good mechanics themselves. You've got the basics: the car has been serviced and looked over, and you have a AAA membership. The only other thing that we do, because it's part of our belief system, is pray. I would have no clue how much it would cost to ship a car, so someone else may have to give you that information.

How long do you have for this trip? By the quickest routes (interstate highways) it's going to be 6 long days on the road. If you want more scenic routes that take you off the interstate, it will take you longer.

Coming out of the northeast portion of the US, two summers ago, we took state routes across several states to I-90 in NY state. Then we cut down to I-80 in PA into Akron area, where we caught I-76, then I-71 down to I-70 and went straight across to Utah where 70 runs out. There we picked up I-15 south into Southern California. Reverse works, too. I-70 from its beginnings in Utah, to Denver, is absolutely gorgeous. Between Salina UT and Green River UT, there's the San Rafael Swell. Then the Bookends go from Green River to just past Grand Junction, CO. In the mountains in CO, you have beautiful vistas, the "hanging freeway" (a modern marvel) through Glenwood Canyon into Glenwood Springs, and then all the ski and mining areas around Vail. Loveland Pass on US-6 has a reputation of being gorgeous and worth the side trip (I've not done that, though).

Donna

Default A little research will unearth a wealth of information.

The key to your question, which you have not given us is, how long do you have for this trip. Adding visiting reservations and flea markets / fairs along the way will take much more time than the six days mentioned above. You could drive all interstates, but I doubt that you would stumble upon many flea markets or fairs.

Go to AAA and get maps of ALL states which are between LA and RI... that is, all States through which your route could potentially pass. Lay these out and see which routes go where, which pass through areas you are particularly interested in. Research the towns and cities along the route, and see if there are flea markets in those places, or upcoming fairs.

For fairs I would do a little research, as these are usually planned well ahead. Signs to flea markets or even the roof signs can often be seen from the highway or interstate. If you have a good look at the maps you will see which reservations have major highways passing through them. Most times I have seen flea markets has been when travelling on the old US highways and local roads. Over the weekends is probably the richest time.

I would up your AAA status to premium for the trip. The extra benefits could give you much peace of mind. There is no reason why your Prius should not make the trip. However the main factor will be, how much time do you have for this trip.

As for shipping the car. All I know it is not cheap. That is NOT CHEAP.

Lifey

4. Default

Hello
    Thank you so much for getting back to me.
    I don't really have a time frame as I am taking a break from work after going through a lawsuit that really wore down on my soul.
    I would ideally like to be efficient and see beauty, be inspired and make a few "must have stops".
    I would like to put a cap on 10 days if that helps with the drive. There are certain states that I'm wondering would be completely off the mark like Marfa, Texas or Nashville, Tennessee.
    Also, there is a chance I will take my little pooch. He is not a large dog but 20 lbs. Do you think it would be hard to find pet friendly lodging?

Quote Originally Posted by PaperDahlia View Post
    when it broke down, even the triple a two driver (in LA) didn't know what to do aside tow it at 2 am to "my" mechanic.
    I think you have unrealistic expectations of a tow truck driver. They generally can do very basic things like change a tire or jump start a battery, but they are not mechanics. It's very unlikely that your tow truck driver would have known what to do - other than tow it to a mechanic - no matter what kind of car you were driving.

Having said that, hybrid technology has been common place for a solid decade now, with almost every automaker offering some kind of hybrid, so any good mechanic should know how to deal with a Prius. If you're still worried and you have a problem, you'd always have the option of having it repaired at a Toyota dealership, which would rarely be tough to find.
    I would like to put a cap on 10 days if that helps with the drive. There are certain states that I'm wondering would be completely off the mark like Marfa, Texas or Nashville, Tennessee.
    As was previously stated, 6 days is about the minimum you need just for the drive, so 10 gives you some options for detours and a bit of exploration. At this point, there are almost no restrictions on where you can go, and at this point of the planning process, you should be thinking about what places you'd want to see - and there is no reason that Marfa or Nashville couldn't be on that list.
    Also, there is a chance I will take my little pooch. He is not a large dog but 20 lbs. Do you think it would be hard to find pet friendly lodging?
    Pet friendly motels are not hard to find. Several chains have no problem with small dogs, although you may have to pay an extra fee. Here is one of several RTA articles about traveling with pets.