I have been reading your forum with great excitement and interest leading up to our family road trip next April.
I know there are LOTS of San Fran to Vegas posts but I AM SO CONFUSED!!
Family of 8 travelling from Australia March 31st to April 24th.
- March 31-April 6th in LA
- Hiring a car from then
- Driving up coast to Monterey Bay for the 6th
- Continuing up to San Fran for April 9th to 11th
- WAS planning Yosemite on the 12th BUT as Tioga pass will be closed was thinking driving to Rino and then onto Mammoth lakes on the 12th
- Maybe two nights at Mammoth lakes (a day to ski??)
- onto Vegas for the 14th-15th
- Drive to San diego on the 16th via hoover dam
- Stay in San diego 16-19th
- Up to Anaheim via Legoland on the 20th
- Anaheim 21-24th then back to LAX for flight home.
As we come from county western australia we are used to long driving days (6hrs drive to nearest city from home and just did a 3000km drive across the country in 3 days). Want to squeeze in as much as we can in the four weeks!!
My question for you all is the best tips for routes to take.
I am particularly worried about San Fransisco to Vegas - keen to take a real scenic route and would like to go through Death Valley if possible. Have friends with us that have never seen snow so would love to get in a day in the snow but won't have snow chains (hiring a car) so worried if I plan a couple of nights in mammoth lakes will then not be able to get in there....
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Aussie family of 8!