Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Los Angeles to Philadelphia

Hi everyone! I'm moving home from Los Angeles to Philadelphia next month and wanted to get some opinions on my route.

I'm going to go a more Northern route as I took I-40 on the way out here and would like to see some other parts of the country.

My tentative stops are as follows:
    St. George Utah
    Denver
    Kansas City Missouri
    Cincinnati

Would love any suggestions on if they is a better/more scenic route or better places to stop. Also if there are any great suggestions of random unique or beautiful places along the way would love some opinions!

Thanks all!

Default Push further day 1.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Interstate 70 is a very scenic drive and as you don't have time for major detours or sight seeing is your best bet imo. If you can get away from LA early then you should travel further than St George on day one and if you made it to Richfield UT you could enjoy a bit of that scenic stretch to Denver, a stop at Glenwood Springs and a detour at Dillon onto US6 over the continental divide at Loveland Pass perhaps. Otherwise you days look OK but without much time for anything other than basic breaks.

I agree with Dave -- go further than St George on Day 1. Richfield, UT, has a bunch of motels and decent places to eat for that night. The next day, you could drive from Richfield into Burlington, CO while still having time to stop in Glenwood Springs, some of the rest areas around there and Vail, and the detour onto US-6. The third night could find you in Columbia or Kingdom City, MO, then overnight next in Springfield, OH. (I will highly recommend the Quality Inn there in Springfield -- just stayed there last week and the rooms are clean, comfortable, and there's an indoor pool).

Donna

4. Default

Thanks so much Dave & Donna!

I should have mentioned we're flexible with the stops outside of Denver & Cincinnati as we're staying with friends in those cities!

I was mistaken -- I had Cedar City UT as the first stop -- mainly because I wanted to have time to drive over to the Zion National Park (either once we get there or first thing the next morning!) I'll have to take a look at Glenwood Springs as you both mentioned it!

As of now we're going from Colorado into Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio -- but trying to decide if it would be better to go from Colorado into Nebraska, Iowa, and then stopping in Chicago before going to Cincinnati.

Default Loveland Pass.

Dave mentioned Loveland Pass as well. Be sure to include that in your journey.. It won't add much time and the views are magnificent. If I only had time for one, I would choose Loveland Pass over Glenwood Springs. For one, it will take much less time.

Lifey

Default Has to be day 1.

I was mistaken -- I had Cedar City UT as the first stop -- mainly because I wanted to have time to drive over to the Zion National Park (either once we get there or first thing the next morning!)
    It's 580 miles from Cedar city to Denver so you would have to visit Zion on day one, which will also save back tracking. It would have to be a very quick visit with a very early start. If you run short of time you could consider a visit to Cedae Breaks NM nearer Cedar city. Day 2 means you won't have time for much at all other than basic breaks and as suggested above, a trip over Loveland pass.

7. Default

Thank you all so much for your help!

For the drive through Utah do you think we should just stay on the 15 to the 70 or is Route 89 (which looks to be going more through the mountains...) more scenic?

Default If time permits.

... or is Route 89 (which looks to be going more through the mountains...) more scenic?
    Much, much more scenic. Though I-15 too, has a lot to offer.

You have a couple of options there, depending on time, as these will all be slower than I-15 and I-70. But if you have the time, you could take 9 to 89, all the way to I-70 north of Sigurd. Or you could take I-15 to Cedar City and 14 across to 89, then up to I-70. Both routes are incredibly scenic, but as I said, considerably slower than the interstates.

Note that taking route 9 will cost entrance to Zion NP, since the road goes through the park.

Make sure you have your cameras with you.

Lifey

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Much, much more scenic. Though I-15 too, has a lot to offer.
    Amazing -- thanks for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smthngcreative View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm moving home from Los Angeles to Philadelphia next month and wanted to get some opinions on my route.

I'm going to go a more Northern route as I took I-40 on the way out here and would like to see some other parts of the country.

My tentative stops are as follows:
    St. George Utah
    Denver
    Kansas City Missouri
    Cincinnati

Would love any suggestions on if they is a better/more scenic route or better places to stop. Also if there are any great suggestions of random unique or beautiful places along the way would love some opinions!

Thanks all!

You left out the amount of days that you plan to do this trip in.