Thread: La- lv- sfo

1. Default La- lv- sfo

Hi,

My family is planning a trip in Dec. We will fly in to LA on and fly back from SFO, total of 16 days. Would like to cover LV + Grand Canyon and/or Lake Lahoe as well. We can drive/fly to SFO from LV. Any suggestion for the itinerary? Is there anything to see in San Diego?
    Thanks in advance.

Default To start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Is there anything to see in San Diego?
    Check out Donna's thread on San Diego.

I think your best plan would be to keep the car for the entire trip. You would then go from LA direct to the Grand canyon south rim [or LA / SD /GC if you decide to visit SD] and then to Vegas. From Vegas you could take a lovely drive across Death valley to 395 and then north to Tahoe before making your way to SF. If you have not already booked your flights I would consider finishing back in LA and that way you would get to travel one of the worlds famous Ocean drives around scenic Big Sur. You could face travel disruption in December due to weather, especially around Tahoe where there is a higher risk of seeing snow and ice.

3. Default

Thanks Dave for your kind response.

Unfortunately, we have already book our return flight.

Can I know how long is the drive from LA to GC, GC to LV and LV to Lake Tahoe and to SF? I saw in some other forums that the road from LV to SF is very barren and nothing much to see. Is it better to fly from Lake Tahoe to SF?

We have 2 toddlers of 2 years old so I am just worried abt the long distance.

Regards,
    Lynn

Default It has a lot to do with your approach.

Quote Originally Posted by lynn13 View Post
    I saw in some other forums that the road from LV to SF is very barren and nothing much to see.
    Lynn, there are people who can drive on magnificent roads through wonderful scenery, and tell you all they saw was the black top with a line down the centre. It really has a lot to do with what you want and how you look at it. To start with you may find this article helpful. There is also some great information on the site about travelling with children.

Lifey

Default Times.

Just to add to what is said above, the drive across Death valley and up the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada ia a wonderful drive !

Ballpark figures for travel. LA to GC 9 hours with short breaks. GC to LV >4.5/ 5 hours.[Perhaps stop at Hoover dam for lunch to break it up] LV to South Lake Tahoe 9 hours. Tahoe to SF 4 hours. From LA you could break the journey up into two days and stop over in a route 66 town like Kingman [5hrs] or Williams [7hrs]. To enjoy the trip across Death valley to Tahoe I would stop in the lovely town of Bishop. Next day you could stop at Mono Lake on route to Tahoe. I can't see any advantage in flying to prevent a 4 hour drive as you would spend a couple of hours check in in the airport and time getting out the other end. Add to that the time to drop off and pick up another rental and you have gained little to nothing. Not to mention the addition of fares and possibly 2 x one way drop off fees for your car. Not to mention the opportunity to drive into SF over the Golden Gate bridge with a little detour.

6. Default

Sorry dave. Some type on my side. I was asking whether it is better to fly from LV to Lake Tahoe instead. For the hoover dam, is it in between LA to GC or GC to LV?
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-01-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Removed in line quote for easier reading.

Default No contest !

I don't think it is better to fly, but then again we are keen Roadtrippers here and it's your decision to make. The same thing applies, time dropping off and picking up cars, the expense and waiting in airports, or time driving through the 'barren' yet amazing beauty of a place like Death Valley and the views of the Sierra's and Mono Lake. For me it's no contest. Sure you could fly same day or split the drive into 2 days and make it part of the adventure, you have the time to do it, it's just how you want to divide up the time you have available.

The Hoover dam is between GC and LV.

Default You'd miss out on Death Valley.

As above. I wouldn't fly, and miss out on Death Valley. An amazing place. Even with two year olds.

Lifey