Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Los angeles to yellowstone in 10 days

Hi

I am doing a first time RV trip from LA to YS starting July 4th and returning 13th. I booked the following campsites and need few ideas to fill in the other days and how much to cover where to book.

4th and 5th LA to YS, break after 500 miles between zion and SLC any suggested places ??
    Can I go unbooked as I am not sure of RV experience and how tiring it can be.. But I am used to driving 15 hours straigth if required.

5th - west yellowstone, grizzly rv park
    6th - canyon campground
    7th - fishing bridge campground
    8th- grant campground
    9th and 10th - colter bay (GT NP)

11th 12th and 13th return : any places that are scenic to stay and dosen't require much hiking ? my parents cannot hike much.

This is where we stand now.

PS: Its 30" standard RV

Note : we dont want to do vegas as we already did few times :)

Thanks,
    Suresh

I was also thinking of using truck stops for 4th night rest, is that a good idea ?

4th and 5th LA to YS, break after 500 miles between zion and SLC any suggested places ??
    Can I go unbooked as I am not sure of RV experience and how tiring it can be.. But I am used to driving 15 hours straigth if required.
    Driving an RV is a lot different than driving a car. It's usually slower, so you aren't going to make the mileage that you may be used to in a car. Maybe you can do 15 hours in a car (we don't usually recommend it), but I would definitely NOT try that in an RV!

I would be leery about going unbooked on the 4th of July weekend, especially if you are in an area that might be a "destination campground". A truck stop might be a great place to spend that night, if you don't mind sleeping next to engines that run 24/7 and lights occasionally in your RV windows.

Donna

Default It is a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Suresh Dangeti View Post
    I was also thinking of using truck stops for 4th night rest, is that a good idea ?
    I for one have no idea where the above comments about truckstops originate. Just because truckers sleep among all the other trucks running their engines does not mean that you have to.

Of my nights on the road, some 40 - 50% are spent at truck stops I have NEVER been asked to park with the trucks. For over a decade now, on each trip I spend a high percentage of my nights at truck stops. Truck stops which make RV Parking** available have special spots for them. If not the long drive through spots in the centre of the apron, then along the edge, taking up several car spaces.

The light, which is a great security feature, affording me a good measure of comfort, is easily blocked out with curtains or blinds. I just have ordinary white bed sheets. (Often my solar lights inside don't run down until well after I have gone to sleep.) As for noise, it is no more than the traffic noise on the road, or the engines in an aeroplane. If that worries any of your party then some simple earplugs, like on planes, will take care of that. Frankly, it lulls me to sleep.

Truck stops are some of the best and friendliest places I have spent the night. All the facilities are at your finger tips. Thank them, and give them a little of your business before you leave.

**This directory lists all the services at each truck stop, including if RV Parking is facilitated.

Lifey

Default A few of many possibilities.

4th and 5th LA to YS, break after 500 miles between zion and SLC any suggested places ?? -
    I have no personal experience of either site, but there are a couple of options in Fillmore UT which is about as far as you would want to travel in a day. One is a KOA and only has a few sites for your date by the looks of things. There is also a site called Wagons west RV campground that seemingly does not have a webpage but does have a phone number if tou search. I would book personally speaking, you have 2 full days on the road and I wouldn't add to that by having to search around for a place to sleep the night.

On the way back you could simply spend some time in Zion NP, a wonderful NP where you can admire much of the canyon from the shuttle bus while hopping on and off and enjoying a stroll along the Virgin river. Watchman NP campground is wonderful, but I doubt you would get a vacancy now and would have to look nearby. You could simply head back down I15 for Zion, or for a more scenic [slower] route you could head south on 191 from the Tetons and spend a night around Dutch John for Flaming Gorge Res and then make you way towards Cedar City through the Dixie National Forest area ready for the run home. Perhaps stopping at Cedar Breaks NM. The main problem is that once you get on scenic routes in an RV the going is much slower and it would mean a lot of time in the vehicle.

Another nice alternative would be to head west to Twin Falls ID and south down US93 and take US6 to 395 south. You may have time to check out the Snake river canyon and Perrine bridge in Twin Falls while getting something to eat. If you then stopped around Wells NV you could spend the following night in Bishop. A lovely free camping spot exisits just west of Tonopah on US6, a little Oasis known as Millers rest. This could also work if you wanted to stop in Twin Falls and at Millers rest before heading back to LA. When you get to Yellowstone and the Tetons you will be handed guide books and leaflets and the Rangers are always happy to chat to you about their favourite spots, strolls that will suit your parents and so on. If you want to get a few ideas before leaving then you can scroll through this part of a report on Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Thank you Donna, lifemagician and Dave

Donna, No I didn't mean I want to travel for 15 hours in RV. Sorry if my message was misleading. Why I was not booking 4th night is because I am not sure if I can travel 500 miles on my first RV trip in a single day.

Lifemagician, Thanks for the info that was very helpful and reassuring.

Thanks for info Dave. I will explore more..

I also downloaded an APP for free RV camping.. It shows some walmart super stores etc..
    Should I consider that ??

In between ZIon and SLC arround 400 to 500 miles from LA what places might have cheap motels.. in case the truk stops and other ideas didn't work out :)

Default Yes, but be sure you are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Suresh Dangeti View Post
    I also downloaded an APP for free RV camping.. It shows some walmart super stores etc..
    Should I consider that ??
    Completely up to you. I far prefer truck stops. The main thing is to make sure that it is secure, and that it is a 24 hr place. I have even stayed at 24hr McDonalds, in my van. For an RV you would need to be sure that they provide parking. Many do provide truck parking, but then the RVs would be with the trucks.

When I arrive at one of these places I ask if there are any restrictions on parking overnight. They will usually ask what I am driving. Then, if it is OK, will tell me where the best place is to park. Only a few days ago I was invited by two staff members of McDonalds to stay overnight. They assured me they would keep an eye on me. I had not asked. I had not planned to stay there. But after that, I did.

No matter how many RVs there are, I always go and ask, before deciding to join them.

Lifey

Default Renting or owner ?

One thing that isn't clear is whether or not you own the RV or are renting. If you are renting and collecting it on the 4th I doubt you will get 500 miles on day one. It can take quite a time to do the paperwork and orientation when collecting the RV and collection isn't normally until after 11am, although this can sometimes be moved forward by contacting the local office. Then if it's literally your first time behind the wheel of a 30ft RV it is going to take a while to get used to the width and lenght before getting up to speed.

Hi Lifey thank You ! will try to go with truk option.. if not will check with the store before moving a ahead.. in worst case there are motels.

Dave it is rented.. i am picking it up on 3rd so that I can have an early start on 4th..

Cedar City is 440 miles from LA and has a wide selection of hotels.