1. Default New York to Miami

Hey guys ... a limey here ..

Have bought a bike in Brooklyn and will be riding down to Miami. I have a week to 10 days and want to see as much as possible with good riding on the way .. good food and good bars on the way. I will be doing it on my lonesome as just like it that way.

Any tips ??.

Thx ..

Default More questions.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Great trip you have ahead of you there. Are you looking at staying on interstates, or more the scenic old US highways? Do you want to stay mostly on the flat, are the more hilly roads of any interest to you? Coast or inland? There are numerous routes you could choose. Friend of mine who has recently bought a small bike has his gps set to 'no highways', and loves riding along the old highways.

Lifey

3. Default

Hi Lifey ... I would prefer to stay off the highways but need to be realistic and take to them when needed. I intend to head West / Southwest from New York and trough Virginia as I have heard the mountains are fabulous. I would ideally like to mix highways with side roads when the scenery and experience is worth it so hence looking for stop offs and nice places to rest overnight ... lunch and a little respite.

I have a two week window as will leave my bike in Miami as have an apartment there so just a one way trip .. 7 to 10 days would be my plan though. Maybe 200 - 250 miles a day .. 3 - 5 max hours riding daily. I wish to miss the big cities of Philadelphia .. Baltimore .. Washington etc hence heading West a little. Will cut back East towards Myrtle Beach and take the coast down through Savannah .. Daytona etc.

Basically Route 80 West out of NYC then South on 81 .. then 77 through Charlotte .. not thought of the rest yet but more than likely 20 towards Myrtle Beach or 26 towards Charleston ??.

I am basically just turning up in NYC with the clothes I am wearing and my helmet .. will buy the bike and take temporary plates as have insurance already and then buy what I need (Toiletries .. clothes etc) when I arrive.

I bought two GoPro camera's so intend to film most of the ride from the front of the bike and a helmet view also ... no GPS but may invest in one.

As I say any nice places to stay and relax would be appreciated.

Thx ... bream

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Great trip you have ahead of you there. Are you looking at staying on interstates, or more the scenic old US highways? Do you want to stay mostly on the flat, are the more hilly roads of any interest to you? Coast or inland? There are numerous routes you could choose. Friend of mine who has recently bought a small bike has his gps set to 'no highways', and loves riding along the old highways.

Lifey