South Salem, New York

Default New York-San Francisco-Florida

I'm so glad I've found this Forum as this gives so much details and help, I'm hoping I can get advise here about our family trip.
    My Husband and my 3 boys 20,11,9 had a tough year, and would love to spend 35 days of this summer traveling for a life time memories.
    We usually drive to Florida from NY as we share the drive, and my son is a big help if we need.
    We plan to take our Honda Pilot and camp/lodge/budget hotels, we would love to do some rafting,hiking and all sort of family activities.

We are planning to Drive to Chicago-Mt Rushmore-Lake Tahoe-Sacramento-San Francisco-San Jose-Yosemite-Death Valley-Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Los Angeles-San Diego-Phoenix-San Antonio-New Orleans-Pensacola Beach-Hollywood Florida.

I've been reading a lot of the tips and information on various states and routes, and was hoping to have advise as for our Itin?
    Any advise on the routes, I have listed camps to book, but it is hard to estimate how many day's should i spend in each, not knowing the complete sightseeing in each.

Any Advise would be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Quite the 'Detour'

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your proposed routing adds nearly 6000 miles to your driving distance to get from New York to Hollywood (FL), so I can see why you want to make the most of it! And for the most part you seem to be doing so. Let's start with a few general comments and then see what specific advice others might offer as well.

First, you can make the drive slightly more efficient by doing the western sites in the following order: Yosemite, Tahoe, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Phoenix, etc. That also puts you on both some seldom used roads (US-6 across Nevada) as well as on some of the more "usual suspects" such as the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH, CA-1).

How much time to spend in any given area is up to you, of course, but certain regions may have far more to see and do than you might think at first. The best example on your current itinerary is 'Mount Rushmore'. Also nearby are Devils Tower, Wind and Jewel Caves, the Crazy Horse Memorial, and Badlands National Park. This is one place where you should plan to spend at least a few days. Another might be at the very start of your drive where you can slow down almost immediately by taking US-6 across northern Pennsylvania and US-30 across Ohio and Indiana to both set the tone for the trip and to get a far better feel for those states than you'll get just following I-80. In my 'back yard' I'd suggest that between the Grand Canyon and Phoenix you take the time to explore Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, Tuzigoot National Monument, Dead Horse Ranch State Park, and Jerome; and then in the Tucson area there's the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Saguaro National Park, Kartchner Caverns State Park, and Tombstone.

As I say, you're covering quite a bit of ground, so those are just my starting suggestions. Let's see what others have to say and then work from there.

Melbourne, Australia

Default What about Rocky Mountain National Park?

The first thing which jumped out at me is Rocky Mountain National Park. Actually, have a good look at Colorado, as there is so much to see and do in that State. You could drive the Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuous paved road in North America, at 12000+ ft. From Granby you could take US-40 through Steamboat Springs to Dinosaur National Monument. Scenic US-139 would take you back to I-70 into UT. I-70 through UT (and CO) is probably one of the most scenic interstates in the country. Should the Trail Ridge Road be closed by a blizzard - which can happen at any time - the alternative could be scenic Peak to Peak route 7, south from Estes Park, through Nederland to Idaho Springs on I-70. Further along I-70 there is the short detour over Loveland Pass (US-6). Actually, which ever way you cross CO, it is a spectacular drive.

I-70 would then lead to the very scenic US-50 - The Loneliest Road in America - to Lake Tahoe, which would set you up for the southern parks, in a slightly different order to what Buck suggested.