1. Default Tennessee to Maine... and back

I'm planning a fall road trip from Tennessee to Maine. I would greatly appreciate any tips or suggestions on sites, restaurants, hotels, etc. Our tentative plan is to drive up the east coast to Maine, on the way back cross New Hampshire, Vermont to NY and Niagara Falls. From there best plan back to Tennessee. We are not in a hurry and can take several weeks. Would like to see DC White House, Statue of Liberty, Manhattan Times Square, a lot of coast in the New England states, lighthouses, eat a lot of lobster.... We want a scenic route and the old historical towns. I greatly appreciate any help I can get! Thank you!

Default A Relaxed but Thorough RoadTrip

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With 'several weeks' you have the time to do this right, seeing quite a bit without being rushed at any point along the way. Depending on where, exactly, you're starting from and how much time you want to take getting to New England, a route up might look like this: Head for eastern Tennessee and take I-81 north. Alternate with the Blue Ridge Parkway as time and proximity allow. Stop in Charlottesville to tour Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello. Visit the National Mall (almost all the monuments and museums you are thinking of) in Washington DC and perhaps Fort McHenry in Baltimore. Head west to Leesburg VA via VA-7 or Frederic MD via I-270 or I-70 and get on US-15 north to Gettysburg. Continue to Harrisburg and use I-81/I-78 into New York City. Leave New York on I-95 to follow the coast as far as New Haven where the industrialized waterfront thins out and the scenic coastline begins. From there US-1 becomes useable and your trip in New England begins.

Much of what I would recommend in New England has been gathered up (along with others' suggestions) here. From the sounds of your own plans, I would think that you should end up in Burlington VT, take the ferry over to Essex NY, and come down the west sides of Lakes Champlain and George visiting Ticonderoga, Crown Point, and Fort William Henry to the Albany area.

Heading home from the northeast, a good scenic route would look something like this: Take I-88 down to Binghamton with a possible stop at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Use I-86 and US-220 to get down to US-6 across northern Pennsylvania to Warren and then US-62/PA-8 to get down to I-80 west. I-80 turns into I-76 and then joins I-71 to Columbus. From there, take I-70 to Dayton and the U.S. Air Force Museum. I-75/I-71 gets you through Cincinnati to Louisville and I-65 south past Mammoth Cave National Park and onward back into Tennessee.

AZBuck

Default Including Niagara Falls.

Whereas the above route is a spectacular way to see the best of New England, if you are going to include Niagara Falls you could head west from Essex (that is a lovely ferry trip) through some of the scenic routes in the Adriondack Mts to Utica. Route 5 then can take you to Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes. Lovely scenic trip around this lake, as well as some nice looking boutique accommodation.

No doubt you know that the best way to view the falls is from the Canadian side, so it is a good idea to have your passports in hand.

Heading south, scenic route 16 through NY could take you to I-86 or all the way to wonderful US-6 in PA - not so much a route, as a destination in itself.

Lifey

In Maine, try to drive US-1 if you can. It's beautiful, with lots of quaint towns. Two years ago, lobster was available at reasonable prices, but I gather that the price and the catch go hand-in-hand. We loved Trenton, ME, and Bar Harbor, as well as Acadia National Park and the lighthouse on Mt Desert Island.

Donna

5. Default

Thank you all so much for the great information!

6. Default

We have gotten the main route planned with all your help. Now to some of the not so important stuff but would like to know what is out there to see. I am a hobby farmer with sheep and alpaca. I spin the wool for knitting. I would like to know about yarn shops to visit along the way. Maybe even sheep or angora goat farms. Thanks again for so much information!

I just did a search for alpaca and sheep in northeastern usa. Here is one of the sites which came up. I am sure there are bound to be more.

Lifey

I just did a Google search for yarn shops New England. Here is one that came up. What I've noticed, while traveling in the northern states, is how many quilt and craft shops there are. I'm sure that's because of long winters!

Donna