1. Default Planning a 3 week road trip, too many places to see?

I am planning a trip to Badlands, Black Hills, Nashville and Bourbon country in August with longer stops in Chicago and Denver to visit family. I am driving with one other person, but wondering if we are trying to fit in too much, I don't want us to spend the whole time driving to these places. Also thoughts on taking a different route than Kansas (drive through texas, oklahoma and arkansas to get to Nashville?)

This trip is during the Sturgis Moto Rally so prices of rooms anywhere near the black hills are really expensive, trying to save some money around there, but never been to that part of the country and want to take at least some time there.

Is a one night stop enough to take in everything? Worth getting at least another night to see Custer National Park and Wind Caves?

Also any suggestions on routes from Chicago to badlands would be much appreciated.

As of right now the tentative plans are:

7/30: Leave Philadelphia, Night In Pittsburgh
    7/31: Michigan City
    8/1: Michigan City
    8/2: Chicago
    8/3: Chicago
    8/4 Chicago
    8/5: Minneapolis, MN -OR- Omaha, NE
    8/6: Pierre, SD
    8/7: Badlands in morning, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, back to Mt Rushmore for night ceremony, sleep in Custer, SD
    8/8: Denver, CO
    8/9: Denver, CO
    8/10: Denver, CO
    8/11: Denver, CO
    8/12: Colorado Springs, CO
    8/13: Kansas City, MO
    8/14: St Louis
    8/15: Nashville, TN
    8/16: Nashville, TN
    8/17: Lexington, KY
    8/18: Lexington, KY
    8/19: Cincinatti
    8/20: Philadelphia

Welcome to RTA!

This trip is during the Sturgis Moto Rally so prices of rooms anywhere near the black hills are really expensive, trying to save some money around there, but never been to that part of the country and want to take at least some time there.

Is a one night stop enough to take in everything? Worth getting at least another night to see Custer National Park and Wind Caves?
    Unfortunately, the motorcycle rally in Sturgis drives the lodging prices out the roof. Places know they'll fill and that they can command the higher rates. The further out one stays, the lower the prices are. Also, it affects things the week before and the week after the rally, as we learned during a summer trip one time when we had a group of motorcyclists join us in a campground.

My husband and I are planning to use a full two days, plus part of another, in the Black Hills area early in July. The "part of another" is the day we drive from DeSmet to Custer, when we will travel through the Badlands. The other two days are for Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave, Custer State Park, and possibly even Jewel Cave. It didn't seem right to try to cram all of that into one day. But we aren't going during the rally, either, so we were able to get a reasonably priced room. Did you price rooms in Rapid City?

Donna

I have driven Route 20 across Nebraska and Route 14 across South Dakota both are good roads lightly traveled and for me a better option than the Interstates. They will add time to your drive but the trade off is worth it. You will get a real feel for the great plains and small towns of the area. Added bonus a lower stress level as you will not be competing with the 18 wheelers for space. Eat at local cafes stay at non chain motels.

Default Absolute serenity.

Oh! I so agree agassiz. It is beautiful country. US-20 especially, through the sandhills of NE. A beautiful scenic route.

From Wind Cave NP take US-385 to Chadron NE, and then US-20 west to I-25, through a host of natural areas, besides the sandhills. A wonderful drive, albeit a little slower. Little traffic, beautiful country and as mentioned above, a lot less stress..

Lifey

5. Default

HELLO..!

Oh! I so believe the fact agassiz. It is amazing nation. US-20 especially, through the sand hills of NE. A amazing picturesque path.

From Breeze Cavern NP take US-385 to Chadron NE, and then US-20 western to I-25, through a variety of organic places, besides the sand hills. A amazing generate, at the same time a little more slowly. Little visitors, amazing nation and as described above, a lot less pressure.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-24-2014 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Ad removed