1. Default Toronto to New Orleans

Hi, we're hoping to do a 10 day family road trip this summer leaving from Toronto to New Orleans. We'll be travelling with two drivers and a nine year old. Thinking if we make it to Toledo the first night we can get to Louisville the next day then on to Louisiana. The only "must see's" along the way are the Louisville museum and factory and the Mississippi River. Any suggestions for itinery or suggested stops along the way? The kiddo is into rocks and minerals. We enjoy music, food, and nature.

2. Default sige me up, sign me up

Quote Originally Posted by Mjsmom View Post
    Hi, we're hoping to do a 10 day family road trip this summer leaving from Toronto to New Orleans. We'll be travelling with two drivers and a nine year old. Thinking if we make it to Toledo the first night we can get to Louisville the next day then on to Louisiana. The only "must see's" along the way are the Louisville museum and factory and the Mississippi River. Any suggestions for itinery or suggested stops along the way? The kiddo is into rocks and minerals. We enjoy music, food, and nature.

could you sign me up? I'm a visiting scholar in Toronto. I really want to join a group for travelling, haha. I can pay for RV rent and gas. If it is ok, please let me know, thanks, skype yuegaocn

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I'd probably look to get a little further south than Toledo, especially if you want to do a little sight seeing in Louisville' it will have to be done on arrival if you plan on covering the 600 miles to NOLA next day. You won't have a lot of time for other sights as you should plan on taking regular breaks to allow the child time to let off steam, but it should be quite a relaxed trip.

Default Goals

I have to agree with Dave that Toledo seems like too short a goal to set for the first day, particularly if you plan to spend time in Louisville on Day 2 and still get to New Orleans by the end of Day 3. Cincinnati is 'only' 500 miles from Toronto and with some [post-60779]time-outs[/post] for the youngster you can easily arrive there early in the evening (after rush hour) and bed down on the Kentucky side of the river for an easy departure the next morning. That would then let you arrive in Louisville before noon on Day 2, spend some time sight-seeing, and still get in a fairly decent day's drive.

I'll also suggest a slight detour since 'seeing the Mississippi' is one of your main goals. From Nashville take I-40 to Memphis. Not only is it on the Mississippi, but there is a scale model replica of the entire river on Mud Island. The combination should let you get a real sense of why the river is known as 'The Mighty Mississip". And a note on the Mississippi in New Orleans. When I was last there (admittedly quite a few years ago) I climbed to the top of the river's levees as it wound its way through the city and was startled to realize that much of the city actually lies below river level. So unless you do the same (climb the levee) you may not even be able to see the river in New Orleans!

AZBuck

If the nine year old is into rocks, you should definitely check out the Falls of the Ohio (across the river from Louisville): http://www.fallsoftheohio.org/ And Mammoth Cave in south central KY.

If you have time (and it's on the way), Bernheim Forest & Arboretum south of Louisville has some great hiking.