1. Default Cross Country Move from Miami to Sacramento

My questions/needs: looking for budget motels for the three of us (my wife, myself, and the Pekingese named Luca) along the route I describe below.

I am trying to plan a cross-country relocation from Miami to Sacramento. We will leave 25 June (after dealing with landlord in morning) and need to be in Sacramento on 1 July (for the new landlord). The vehicle is a 4-door 2013 Toyota Corolla. I figure to put the back seat down for the dog.

Here's the hard part. I want to keep us on a budget, so we want to be able to find a cheap motel to wash off the stink and catch ZZZs. I am determined to get in 10-hour drives, although there will be frequent stops with the dog. The wife is fighting me on 10 hours, wanting to keep it to 8 hours even though she's the passenger on most of this trip. Has anyone ever done this? Will it be easy to find a motel on the road with a vacancy? We've never had a dog along for the ride, by the way (we will bring a crate with him and probably keep him crated in motel). I am really unable to plan segments for the drive. In the east I hope to get 600-700 miles a day. Google maps does not show distances between routes so I can estimate where the stops are and plan for overnighting there.

My route is not complicated: I figure only to see the Grand Canyon, maybe Vegas.

1. My route will start out moving up north on I-95 which then cuts through west of Orlando, up I-75 where we meet I-10.
    2. We then take I-10 to Mobile and veer off to US-98 through to Hattiesburg, MS, continuing on US-49 where we meet I-20 in Jackson, MS.
    3. Then it's I-20 through Dallas, where we turn down the major highway from Dallas through Wichita Falls where we meet I-40 at Amarillo.
    4. From Amarillo west to Albuquerque (my wife wants to meet one Walter White there, she says).
    5. At Flagstaff, we're supposed to detour to US-180 and meet up with the South Rim entrance of Grand Canyon, take a few pictures, maybe take a few rocks.
    6. After that we continue west. When we get to US-93, we'll know well enough if we continue going to Sacramento or detour to LV.
    7. It's easy down the west on I-40 to State 58 from Barstow to Bakersfield and then up State 99 to Sacamenna.

Welcome to RTA!

In the east I hope to get 600-700 miles a day.
    We recommend you keep it down to no more than 550 a day. This will have you on the road for at least 10 hours a day including stops. This is almost a full 6 day drive via fastest route (which you chose) with NO sightseeing detours. I would forego the trip to Grand Canyon and Las Vegas and do those on long weekends at a later date.

Accounting for a delay getting out of Miami, plan on overnights:

Lake City, FL (maybe Tallahassee)
    Jackson, MS (maybe Vicksburg or Monroe, LA)
    Fort Worth, TX (maybe Wichita Falls)
    Albuquerque, NM
    Kingman, AZ or Needles, CA

This will get you into Sacramento on the evening of June 30.

The cheapest pet-friendly hotel is Motel 6. Next best bet is Super 8, but not all allow pets. You will have to research this.

Welcome to RTA!

I will agree with GLC -- no more than 550 to 600 miles per day. You do have the advantage of traveling west, so you will gain 3 hours along the way, probably on three separate days. You probably won't have time for the Grand Canyon, as it is an hour off I-40 (one way). If you do, though, you will not be allowed to take any rocks. (Take only photos, leave only footprints -- that's the rule at national parks.)

I would stay on the WEST side of any large cities you might choose, so that you don't have the issue of rush hour traffic to deal with in the morning.

Motel 6's are pretty pet-friendly, and so are a lot of Super 8's, which are a bit higher (with more amenities to enjoy). Another suggestion is to stop at the rest area/visitor centers along the highway as you pull into a state, and grab a coupon book for the motels. You can also get these, most of the time, at truck stops/travel centers such as Flying J, Pilot, Petro, and TA. Just look for little newspaper-type vending machines outside of the buildings or just inside the vestibules. The coupon books don't cost a thing. The coupons usually state either "no pets" or "pet-friendly" or "small pet okay".

As far as riding during the day, you and your wife will have to hit a compromise. If you drive 8 hours a day, it will take you more than the 7 days you have allotted for the trip which will cost you more in overnights. If you drive 10-11 hours a day, you can do the drive in 6 days. Stop often at the rest areas, walk around, throw a frisbee and let the dog chase it, go to the bathroom, do some jumping jacks. When you're getting fuel, after you're done, park the car in a parking spot and walk around the station. (If you use truck stops, there's usually plenty to look at inside their stores.)

Oh, in Albuquerque, there are lots of discount options at the Coors Blvd exit on the west side of town. Perfect place for quick departure the next morning! I think my husband stayed at the Super 8 there on a coupon, a few years back. I can't remember where he stayed in Kingman, but he thought the ABQ-KINGMAN drive was a perfect day in a U-Haul.

Donna

Default happy wife, happy life

Quote Originally Posted by mavigozler View Post
    I am determined to get in 10-hour drives, although there will be frequent stops with the dog. The wife is fighting me on 10 hours, wanting to keep it to 8 hours even though she's the passenger on most of this trip.
    If you take nothing else from this site, let me offer this bit of advice: The one certain way to guarantee you have a horrible roadtrip experience is to ignore what your co-traveler wants. That goes double when your co-traveler is your wife!

Being determined to drive 10 hours when your wife only wants to do 8 is absolutely a recipe for disaster. The idea that because you are the primary driver your opinion is the only that matters just doesn't work. Don't forget, simply being a passenger in a car all day is fatiguing.

As others have mentioned, even if you still are determined to do 10 hours a day, then you absolutely need to forget the idea that you can drive 650-700 miles, as you simply can not cover that much ground in 10 hours, especially not when traveling with a dog. When you factor in just minimum stops, you're only going to average around 55 mph over the course of the day (assuming you're driving at a cruising speed of 70-75), which is why others are saying you should not be trying to do much more than 550 miles in a day.

Default I-95 could be quicker.

As well as all of the above, note the time and day on which you are leaving. You may find that it is quicker to go straight up I-95, I-295 west around Jacksonville and I-10 to Tallahassee. By the time you get north of Fort Pierce you are through just about all the roadworks. From my experience the I-75 is much busier than I-95 and you have to account for any traffic within Orlando.

Lifey

Taking I-95 to Jax also saves you all the turnpike tolls.

A couple of years ago, we were going to Orlando. We came down I-10 from southern MS, to I-75 in FL. Turnpike tolls will happen outside of Orlando, but we didn't consider them expensive....just irritating. My husband, who was driving, found that I-75 was very, very busy. However, I will say that this was on a Sunday afternoon. When we left FL, we headed up I-95, overnighted in Jax, and the traffic was about the same -- and this was on a Friday late afternoon.

We've done most of the route that you've outlined, although on different trips. Good roads. Oh, I have no idea who Walter White is, in Albuquerque, but one of my very favorite actors also calls ABQ home -- Bill Daily (I DREAM OF JEANNIE, THE BOB NEWHART SHOW).

Donna

8. Default

Thanks to all repliers. Your relation of your knowledge and experience has been helpful. I have printed out your posts to take on the road as reminders.

As for Florida's toll roads, we've paid a bundle already being Miami residents and are used to it (just a small reason among many we will be glad to be leaving this area...we know FL has no state income tax, but I calc'd the tolls were more costly than a state income tax in our situation)

Walter White is apparently a fictional character in the TV series "Breaking Bad" who was a high school chemistry teacher who became a crystal meth kingpin in order to cope with America's continuing difficult economy. I note that I teach chemistry too, although at a university, and I too, like Mr. White, am having a hard time coping with this difficult economy. Don't look for anyone to do a TV series on me. :)

I continue to monitor replies to this thread until launch time and on the road when I can.

Default The White House

Quote Originally Posted by mavigozler
    4. From Amarillo west to Albuquerque (my wife wants to meet one Walter White there, she says.
    Hi, mavigozler. Using RTA’s mapping tool, I put together a little map that shows an easy route that would take you from I-40 right to Walter White’s house (everyone wants to see Walt’s house). I also added several more filming locations that are in the same general area.

Conveniently, at the same exit where you would get off the freeway to go see all of this, there is an off-leash dog park right there waiting for you. Also, a good place for hamburgers is right across the street from the dog park.

EDIT: For driving directions, click on the square red route marker # 1 .

Hopefully you can have some fun with this mini-Breaking Bad tour. Let me know if you have questions.