Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Los Angeles to Denver

A party of 23, children and adults, is going to Denver from Los Angeles and would like to know about things to do on the way. We will be driving and would like to lodge somewhere in between. We would like to be in Colorado for the 4th of July celebrations

Default No Time for 'Real' Stops

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Since you apparently only plan to stop once on your over a thousand mile (minimum) drive to Denver, you really don't have time to wander off the main roads (I-15 and I-70) anywhere or anytime. You have to realize that just getting all those people out of, and back into, the vehicle(s) is going to take a considerable amount of time and you are already pretty close to what can be reasonably driven in just two days. So you are going to have to make your meal and rest room breaks do double duty as your sight-seeing stops. As far as your overnight stop, your best bet would be Richfield UT on I-70 shortly after leaving I-15. And by all means, make reservations! I'd hate for you to pull in and find that there aren't enough accommodations for all 23 of you.

AZBuck

Default San Rafael Swell will be on your route

I agree with AZBuck -- I was curious how many vehicles will be used in this journey?

I-70 is very scenic and there are lots of options for stopping and enjoying the view. Here is a field report for the portion of I-70 between I-15 and the Utah eastern border.

Mark

4. Default

We will be taking 5 vehicles. Thanks for the posts. Very helpful.

Tripinthestates

Having a little experience with a convoy of vehicles on a long trip (former HS music director and parent), I can make a couple of suggestions.

First, I wouldn't try to keep all 5 vehicles in a convoy. Give every driver a list of places you will stop. Make sure that the vehicles can all talk to each other in some way -- cell phones work well these days for that. If you are planning to take meals together, make sure that the drivers and their navigator/s know where. If you are overnighting together someplace (and I'd sure make reservations, with that size of a group), make sure the location is known.

Donna

Is there any way to allow more time for the journey ? An extra night would give you so many more options other than just driving, but of course with that comes more organisation and most likely, expense. Will this be a round trip ? You could look at different options on the way back , time permitting that is.

7. Default

We would like to stop at the Grand Canyon and spend the night there. Any suggestions of places to stay, eat, do for our large group?

Default You Don't Have Time

Adding the extra miles needed for the detour to the Grand Canyon, the time for viewing the Canyon itself, onto the logistics of trying to get five separate vehicles up and running on your first day, as well as moving at a goodly pace for two solid days, you simply don't have time to visit the Grand Canyon during your two (and only two) days to get from Los Angeles to Denver.

AZBuck

Default Still just the one night ?

If you are planning on just one overnight stop you really won't have time to visit the Grand canyon.

10. Default

We are planning to leave Los Angeles Tuesday Night and arrive at the Grand Canyon. Spend the night and head out the next day and make another stop before getting to Denver Friday.