Default Moving from Alaska to Nevada

We are shipping our vehicles to Tacoma, flying to Seattle, picking up the vehicles, spending the night, then heading for Reno the following day. This will be about October 4th or 5th. What is the quickest route from Tacoma to Reno?

Welcome to RTA!

I hear where you're coming from -- having lived in Alaska at one time, and shipping vehicles south, it's an adventure!

I'd say, probably hit I-5 south, then cut over to Reno using CA-89/44/36 down to I-80. It's a beautiful drive. If you don't like two-lanes, then use I-5 all the way to I-80. For the first suggestion, overnight somewhere around the Rogue River to Medford OR area, then take your time the following day to drive the two-lane scenics.

Do you know the arrival date of your vehicles? Are you arriving in Seattle/Tacoma at the same time as your vehicles? The reason I ask that -- when our car was shipped FROM Kent up to Alaska, we arrived a lot sooner than our vehicle and had to borrow one until ours arrived. When we departed, it was shipped to the LA area and once again, we arrived back in the Lower 48 a lot sooner than it did!

Donna

Streets & Trips says I-5/CA-89/CA-44/CA-36/US-395 is fastest. I-5/I-80 adds 140 miles and at least an hour. This is a day and a half drive.

Thanks for the info Donna, but I don't want to do I-80. We are going over to talk with the folks that are shipping our vehicles this week, as we do not want to arrive there days ahead of time. How long does the two lane scenic take? I want to spend one night in Seattle, then one night between there and Reno, as I have horrible night vision.

Thanks much; I agree, I don't want to do I-5 to I-80. Best place to spend the night between Seattle and Reno?

Default Two Days to Reno Without the Interstates

It is more or less possible to make the journey you want without using I-5, I-80, or any other major segments of an Interstate Highway, and so it with just one overnight stop, but you will be pressing it a bit and will have little or no time for any big stops. Basically such a route would go like this: From the SeaTac area head for Enumclaw using WA-164 and pick up WA-410 down around Mt. Rainier to Naches and get on US-12 to Yakima. Now at this point you can use I-82/I-84 for a bit down to Pendleton OR, or if you really want to skip eschew the Interstates you can use US-97/WA-22/WA-221/WA-14/US-730/OR-37. In any event, from Pendleton it's a 'straight' shot down US-395 to Reno. You would probably want to spend the night half way as this would be close to a solid two day drive. That would put your overnight around Burns OR.

AZBuck

If you follow my recommendation (fastest route) and leave Seattle in the morning, you could look at spending the night in Yreka, Weed, or Mount Shasta. This would be about a 10 hour drive from Seattle to Mount Shasta. From there via the 2 lanes, it's another 5 hours at the most to Reno. If you don't want to drive that far the first day, there are plenty of places to stay on I-5 in Oregon - Grants Pass, Medford, Ashland.

Grant's Pass sounds good; I was there for two months while working on the Biscuit Fire!

Grants Pass to Mount Shasta is about 2 hours - that would break up your trip into 2 close to equal days.