Hybrid View

1. Default route from Washington to Alaska not showing route options

I plugged in addresses for a start point in Auburn, WA and ending in Anchorage, AK. The map tool does not give and route options, it automatically chooses to take the Cassiar. I want to take the Alaska-Canada (AlCan) highway, but when I plugged in way points, I get an error saying that it can't draw that route and that my way points aren't near a road. Help please!

Default Put in a few more options along your route.

I'd put in Austin > Dawson Creek > Whitehorse > Fairbanks or Glenallen > Anchorage, and you'll get the route you are looking for. Have a good paper map next to you while doing this, and you can choose any options you like. When you see what you want on the map, then key it into the computer.

By the way, the Cassiar Highway is also a spectacular route. But then, all other alternatives are as well.

Lifey

Default Make sure you are on the Map Center page!

Quote Originally Posted by joy23b View Post
    I plugged in addresses for a start point in Auburn, WA and ending in Anchorage, AK. The map tool does not give and route options, it automatically chooses to take the Cassiar. I want to take the Alaska-Canada (AlCan) highway, but when I plugged in way points, I get an error saying that it can't draw that route and that my way points aren't near a road. Help please!
    DO NOT USE THE HAND-DRAWN ROUTE mapping tools -- this is off-highway use only or for approximations.

First of all -- it sounds like you might be using the Map Wizard program? The tools you want are on the Map Center Page.

Here is an explanation and tutorial for using the Map Center to create custom maps on RTA.

by the way, I do not use paper maps at all anymore to plan routes -- I do carry detailed paper maps in my road trip vehicles -- but any and all planning is done online using the RTA map tools.

Mark

Default That's what I'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    by the way, I do not use paper maps at all anymore to plan routes ...
    That is understandable for someone who has travelled as extensively as you have. You probably have the complete map of North America, each route and attraction, permanently imprinted in your memory. (I rarely use a map to do the little planning I do.)

Fact is though, the majority of folk I meet have absolutely no idea where anything is, in relation to any place else, outside of their own State and sometimes outside of their own little sphere. (I've even met adults who don't know where the points of the compass are.) For them to get the full picture of where they are, where they are going and all the different ways they can get there, not to mention what there is to see along the way.... is by my way of thinking best done by looking at good detailed maps.

Who knows, they might even see something they never knew existed.

Lifey

Default It's not really about paper maps!

I guess I wasn't very clear about the use of maps.... I still use mapping tools when planning routes, but these days I tend to use 21st century tools. We, (RTA) invested in and built a map planning application -- which I do use -- certainly look at -- virtually every day. And I do carry paper maps in my vehicle when on road trips (for the area I am driving through.

What I was addressing was the use of PAPER maps when planning trips. Technology is a wonderful thing and I encourage roadtrippers to use those electronic tools that exist.

I have an extensive personal collection of paper maps -- most are framed and hanging on the walls of my office and my house. So, it could be argued that I look at some form of paper maps every day --

I would tend to agree that looking at maps when planning a trip is beneficial -- they provide insight to places one might never find when traveling on the shortest route between two places -- but my point was and is.... use the electronic tools -- electronic mapping provides hyperlinks to articles, points of view and other personal advice not available in paper maps.

There are attractions articles in the RTA Custom Mapping program -- that most people would never be able to find just using paper maps.

Mark