Jacksonville, Florida, United States

Default Travel from Jax fl to Eureka California, go up around texas.. A route?

trying to travel to Eureka California I've never driven this routs and route suggestions? Thank you!! Want to go up and around Texas in my route
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-10-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Tucson, AZ

Default Bypassing Texas

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The most efficient route to Eureka would have you starting out on I-10 then striking northwest from around Mobile AL using US-98 to Hattiesburg and US-49 to Jackson MS and I-20 I-20, then again from Dallas-Fort Worth on US-287 through Wichita Falls to Amarillo and I-40. Follow I-40 to Barstow, and use CA-58 to I-5, I-580 into the Bay Area and US-101 up to Eureka. All of that would take around five to five and a half days at a reasonable and steady pace.

To completely bypass Texas, you could instead strike more northerly soon after you leave Jacksonville on I-10, taking I-75 up through Atlanta to Chattanooga, then I-24 through Nashville to I-57 in southern Illinois and I-64 into St. Louis where you'd pick up I-70 and follow that to Denver. At that point, you'd take I-25 up into Wyoming and hop on I-80 at Cheyenne (or use US-287 to I-80 at Laramie). At Reno NV you'd use US-395 to Johnstonville CA and then CA-36/CA-44 to Redding and CA-299 to the Eureka area. For all that, you could still make the trip in under six days.

Last edited by AZBuck; 06-10-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Corrections to the English and additions to make the route(s) work.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Maps.

Have you thought of going to AAA and getting maps from them for all the States through which you could feasibly be travelling? They are free to members. If you are not a member, and do not have any other roadside assistance plan, it would probably be a good idea to sign up before you leave.

Good paper maps have all the possible routes you could take, as well as tons of information on what you could see along the way. It really is the first place to start, even if you have a gps. You are going to need good maps while on the road. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your electronics. Many have done so at their peril, some with fatal consequences.

Have a good look at them and see all your options, including the ones mentioned above. You will no doubt have more questions? Feel free to ask.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Sparks View Post
    trying to travel to Eureka California I've never driven this routs and route suggestions? Thank you!! Want to go up and around Texas in my route
    Hi Did you make the trip yet ? I'm thinking of doing the same Jax to Redding Ca, but would love to know how it turned out. Better then Flying ? what were the not so good bits.

Melbourne, Australia

I hope the original poster will post the experience. But that member has not been back to this forum to read the responses already posted, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

In the meantime, I hope the responses to the original question has been helpful to you.

South of England.

Default Seeking your own answers.

Hello and inthestudio and welcome to RTA !

As above, you may or may not get a response from the original poster, but what I would recommend you do is start your own thread with any specific questions you may have in the appropriate forum, Summer, Spring or Fall and winter Roadtrips depending on when you are planning to travel. What I can tell you is that this being a Roadtrip forum, I doubt you will have many people saying flying is better, unless of course you don't have the time or means to enjoy the trip.