1. Default Rv road trip starting and ending in LA.

Suggested changes to summer rv roadtrip August 2014

We are two families renting two individual RVs. We are flying in to LA and picking up RVs in Norco. Flights and RV already booked but need to confirm itinerary. My wife and I are in one with our two boys aged 6 and 8 and my sister and her husband in the other with their son, 10 and daughter 18. 14 day road trip starting and ending outside Los Angeles.

Below is our provisional itinerary.

Pick up RV in Norco and head south to Legoland
    Legoland to Pismo
    Pismo to Big Sur
    Big Sur to San Fran or straight to Napa
    Napa to south Lake Tahoe
    Lake Tahoe to Yosemite
    Yosemite to Sierra
    Sierra to Sequoia
    Sequioa back to Norco to drop off RVs.

My main points of contention are;

1. Are we trying to fit too much in?
    2. We're too late to book NPS campgrounds in Yosemite so need some suggestions?
    3. Best way to see Yosemite. Do we drive in with RVs and if so can we park them up for the day so as to explore?
    4. How long in each place? More in Lake Tahoe and Yosemite/Sierra/Sequoia and less along coast?
    5. I would like to not do Legoland and instead do Disneyland either at beginning or end? Doing Legoland means driving south then back north again afterwards.

Any thoughts would be helpful especially recommendations on where to stay during National Park leg of journey.
    Last edited by Bsbdg; 06-05-2014 at 12:42 PM.

South of England.

Default A start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Your trip is certainly doable and you have the stops about right for the LA to SF leg up the coast. Whether you are trying to fit too much in or not much depends on how much time you want to stay in any one place and in particular, how much time in LA? You could easily spend 3 or 4 days in Yosemite, but I would recommend at least 2 nights close by. You could skip Napa, Tahoe or Sequoia if you prefer a slower pace but again, it depends on your travel style. SF is not an RV friendly place with limited campgrounds and if you are not planning on spending at least a couple of nights and one full day there to enjoy what it has to offer, you might be better off steering clear, even though it's a wonderful City. To be honest your plan with 14 days is positively relaxed compared to what many people try to cover in that time.

You will need to drive into Yosemite and you should find parking and be able to use the free shuttle bus services, although I would plan on arriving early if it is peak season. As well as the valley you have Glacier point which has amazing views and Mariposa Grove, home of Yosemites own giant Sequoia's. If you go to Tahoe you should look at heading down the east side of the Sierra's on 395 and enter Yosemite via the east entrance over Tioga Pass [CA120]. You might find camping in Lee vining or closer to Mono Lake and then you could explore the pass the following morning. You could check out Yosemite Pines campground in Groveland to the west of the park for another night and I think there other options in Mariposa, a search would be your best bet. On your last full day in Yosemite and if you were headed south to Sequoia, you could stop in Oakhurst at the High Sierra RV park if that's not booked up. It's quite a small riverside site where they squeeze the sites in and is fairly basic, but fine for an overnight stop.

If Sequoia isn't booked up I would try and get reservations. Outside I think there are options in Fresno and there are a couple of options to the south of the park in Three rivers. The only issue here is that the southern portion of road in Sequoia [the Generals highway] is a tight and twisty road and has lenght restrictions, so if you can't get through there Three rivers wouldn't be a great choice. You can still visit the main areas of the park though coming through the north [Kings canyon] entrance.

With regards to LA attractions, it's mainly up to you. It might be good to have a couple of days at the end of your trip where you don't have to worry about driving and can unwind before flying out. The other thing is that if you are coming in on an International flight you are not permitted to pick up the RV the same day, you have to have been in the country for one night.

Joplin MO

If you are renting from Corona Motorhome Rentals, I'd recommend that you do NOT. I'd stick with a major company such as Cruise America or El Monte.

More reviews

4. Default

Unfortunately we booked through a company called Campertravel who are agents for Corona! I am now seeing if I can cancel. Unfortunately they have already taken a deposit of $400!!