Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Family of 4 11 day RV trip California/Arizona what to prioritise

Hi All,

Have been reading you forum and getting some great advice. We have hired an RV for 11 days pick up from LA and drop off in San Fran. I would like some more expert advice on my plan so far.

day 1 Drive LA to laka Havasu
    day 2 lake havasu to grand canyon
    day 3 stay grand canyon
    day 4 grand canyon to death valley
    day 5 death valley to yosemite
    day 6,7,8 stay yosemite
    day 9 yosemite to cambria
    day 10 cambria to monterey
    day 11 monterey to san francisco

There is flexibility about days in Yosemite, so we could break up a couple of the longer drives - between grand canyon and death valley if needed. We are a two adults wiht kids aged 5 and 8 years.

Wondering if this seems reasonable or if anyone would suggest alternatives? Welcome any alternatives or additions.
    Las Vegas not really that interesting to us, happy to spend night if it makes sense but this is our 'nature' part of trip - we have tome booked at disneyland, LA, san francisco then new york. So exited to see Big Sur, Yosemite.

Many thanks for any advice

Donna

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've done an excellent job with your planning. The one question I'd have is when will this trip take place? You listed "fall and winter" and that will impact how you'll be able to get from DV to Yosemite.

One option you could look to do is add Sequoia National Park to the mix - probably between Yosemite and the Coast unless Tioga Pass would be closed, and then it would make more sense to do it before Yosemite.

Default Death valley and booking if early Sept.

I agree with Michael you have done a great job with planning and giving yourself that time to enjoy Yosemite will be time well spent. As well as the risk of Tioga Pass [CA120] being closed the later you travel, if you are travelling early Fall [especially early Sept] you will need to check with the RV company that you are permitted to go into Death Valley as RV companies do not like their vehicles going through there in the summer heat and is often prohibited by them. [Or at the least they might not accept liability and any expense if you do] The other thing travelling in early Fall would be campground availability at Yosemite and the Grand canyon. If you have set dates and if you haven't booked already, I would recommend booking in advance just to be sure, as RV sites are popular but limited in numbers.

Default Creating memories.

One way to make the National Parks as exciting as Disney, for the little ones, is to enrole them in the Junior Ranger program at each park. They will have a lot of fun - as will you - while at the same time teaching them a lot about the parks and earn some great souvenirs to take home.

One thing my grandchildren do for every trip is to keep a journal. Spend a little time before bed to recall and record those things which the children found most interesting that day. This can be recorded in the form of text, photos, drawings, clippings from brochures, butts from entrance tickets, etc. Even the youngest child can do this, though your younger one may need a little help (not prompting) from Mum or Dad.

Both these activities give the children a great record of their trip, and wonderful to look back on in years to come. [Five of my grandchildren are on trips at the moment, and I cannot wait to see their journals.]

Lifey

5. Default Trip Timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've done an excellent job with your planning. The one question I'd have is when will this trip take place? You listed "fall and winter" and that will impact how you'll be able to get from DV to Yosemite.

One option you could look to do is add Sequoia National Park to the mix - probably between Yosemite and the Coast unless Tioga Pass would be closed, and then it would make more sense to do it before Yosemite.

Hi Midwest Michael,
    Thanks that's great to hear that the trip sounds realistic, we don't want to be so rushed to see everything that we actually see nothing, if you know what I mean! The trip will commence on 11th Sept. Have checked RV site and they state cannot take RV in before 15th Sept. My plan currently has us there on 14th Sept, could spend extra day somewhere befor egetting to death valley. I am assuming you need to be able to drive in to experience death valley? Given heat issue we probably just want a brief experince - any suggestions?

Have looked at Sequoia NP and would love to add in but thouhgt on Google maps the road looked quite winding and might be a long drive in a RV. Is this true?

6. Default

Thanks Dave, Yes have already noticed this and will see what we can still book. Pre-booked powered all gone in Yosemite, the first come sites might be an option, kids always get you up early! wiull check out Grand Canyon. We do have capacity in RV for non-powered and from previous camp expeirnces can get away with limited power.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    One way to make the National Parks as exciting as Disney, for the little ones, is to enrole them in the Junior Ranger program at each park. They will have a lot of fun - as will you - while at the same time teaching them a lot about the parks and earn some great souvenirs to take home.

One thing my grandchildren do for every trip is to keep a journal. Spend a little time before bed to recall and record those things which the children found most interesting that day. This can be recorded in the form of text, photos, drawings, clippings from brochures, butts from entrance tickets, etc. Even the youngest child can do this, though your younger one may need a little help (not prompting) from Mum or Dad.

Both these activities give the children a great record of their trip, and wonderful to look back on in years to come. [Five of my grandchildren are on trips at the moment, and I cannot wait to see their journals.]

Lifey

Thanks Lifey,

Yes we have done the journal before on a trip our the Flinders Ranges (South Australia) and when I told my son about yur reply he got his journal out and still enjoying it. Thanks for advice about Junior ranger will definitely do this.

Donna

Yes, although hook ups are handy they are not a 'must have'. Almost all campsites have quiet hours but running the generator early evening while you are usually using the most power is normally enough to keep you going the rest of the night. If there are non hook up sites available it's certainly worth considering and for me, a far better option than having to drive in each day. There are a few options outside the park, one being Yosemite Pines just outside Groveland.

At the GC, the TRailer village has hook ups and Mather campground doesn't but are both in good locations for the village and rim.

Default A couple of further thoughts.

Don't give up just yet. Check back to the National Park campsites as often as you can. Cancellations are not infrequent, and you never know when you can pick up a site within a park. This is especially true where there is no cancellation fee.

Despite your user name, it never dawned on me that you will be flying in from downunder (just as I will be going home). Not sure if you are aware, but all the automobile clubs in Oz have a reciprical arrangement with the AAA. You don't say whence you hail, but if you are a member of RACV, NRMA or equivalent, be sure to bring your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourist information from the AAA. There are several of their offices in LA, pick some up before you pick up the RV.

The other thing I do is bring a small flag along, to put in the rear window of your vehicle. Years ago I was driving in CA when the car in front of me had a Union Jack in the back window. Since then all the vehicles I have driven have had the flag on it. It just shows the other drivers that I am not a local. Hopefully they will forgive the minor infractions. Then every so often there is a beep on a horn and a big wave.

Lifey

10. Default Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Don't give up just yet. Check back to the National Park campsites as often as you can. Cancellations are not infrequent, and you never know when you can pick up a site within a park. This is especially true where there is no cancellation fee.

Despite your user name, it never dawned on me that you will be flying in from downunder (just as I will be going home). Not sure if you are aware, but all the automobile clubs in Oz have a reciprical arrangement with the AAA. You don't say whence you hail, but if you are a member of RACV, NRMA or equivalent, be sure to bring your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourist information from the AAA. There are several of their offices in LA, pick some up before you pick up the RV.

The other thing I do is bring a small flag along, to put in the rear window of your vehicle. Years ago I was driving in CA when the car in front of me had a Union Jack in the back window. Since then all the vehicles I have driven have had the flag on it. It just shows the other drivers that I am not a local. Hopefully they will forgive the minor infractions. Then every so often there is a beep on a horn and a big wave.

Lifey

Thanks for advice I will continue to keep an eye on the campsites and hope for the best. Hail from Melbourne, so thanks for advice will bring RACV along and flag think we could do with some forgiveness, feeling abit wary about driiving large RV on opposite side of road, slow and sgteady I think.

Welcome home Lifey!
    Last edited by ausfamily; 06-06-2014 at 05:53 AM.