1. Default West Coast Road Trip - Advice

Hi,

I'm planning a road trip next May/June 2015, we are from the UK and would love you comments and inputs in what are the best local attractions and roads to drive on. I have a good idea of my stops along the way but as I have not booked anything yet im open to suggestion on almost everything, im hoping to start booking things in about 2 weeks time.

Day 1: San Fran
    Day 2: San Fran
    Day 3: San Fran to Cambria
    Day 4: Cambria to LA
    Day 5: LA
    Day 6: LA
    Day 7: LA to Palm Springs
    Day 8: Palm Springs to Grand Canyon
    Day 9: Grand Canyon to Zion National park
    Day 10: Zion National Park
    Day 11: Zion National Park to Las Vegas
    Day 12: Las Vegas
    Day 13: La Vegas
    Day 14: Las Vegas to Yosemite
    Day 15: Yosemite
    Day 16: Yosemite to Napa Valley
    Day 17: Napa Valley
    Day 18: Napa Valley to San Fran

Please let me know what you think, we are also hoping to go Hawaii for 5 nights before flying back to the UK.

Default Good job !

That's a well thought out itinerary set at a relaxed pace and if that's what you want to do then you are gonna have a great time. You certainly wouldn't want any less time at the Grand canyon by the time you have taken drive times into consideration for those 2 days. For places like Yosemite, Grand canyon and Zion I would certainly book in advance.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-03-2014 at 04:10 PM.

If on day 14 you are planning to get all the way into Yosemite Valley it will be over 7 hours continuous driving. Make sure you set off very early so that you can take your time going over the Tioga Pass where you will want to stop often and take in the views.

If on day 14 you are planning to get all the way into Yosemite Valley it will be over 7 hours continuous driving. Make sure you set off very early so that you can take your time going over the Tioga Pass where you will want to stop often and take in the views.
    This is assuming that Tioga Pass will be open. The trip is slated for next May/June. This year, the Pass opened a bit earlier than it usually does. However, what it does THIS year has no real impact on what it will do NEXT year. If the Pass is not open, the day's drive will be quite a bit longer in terms of mileage, as one needs to go AROUND the Sierras to the Western side.

Donna

Default Might need some flexibility.

You won't know until the last minute if Tioga Pass is open when you travel. I would leave the LV days flexible, so you can 'borrow' a day from there, to drive to Yosemite. Either that, or 'borrow' a day from Napa Valley. You will really want the time you have allocated, in Yosemite. It is a large and spectacular NP.

Lifey

6. Default

Thanks for the comments so far everyone.

I have already read about Tioga Pass and I have my fingers crossed that it will be open!!!!!!! Could you also help me with specific best roads are along this route as well as attractions.

any insights comments are helpful for instance good road to drive on in Yosemite as well as places to walk or good place to stop as in death valley!

Default The locals route to DV.

One possibility would be to leave LV after lunch on day 13 and drive through Death valley and settle in Panamint Springs or Lone Pine for the night. The 'Locals route' to DV is to take 160 to Pahrump and just north of town take Bell Vista ave/Ash Meadows /State line road to DV junction where you turn right and immediate ledt onto 190. Dantes view and Zabriske Point are a couple of possible stops before Furnace creek where they have a small museum and refreshments. From here you could detour to Badwater Basin which is the lowest point in the US at something like 283ft below sea level. On the way up you could take Artists drive as a nice little detour. As you make your way across on 190 you will come across the Sand dunes near Stovepipe Wells.

After Tioga Pass [if open] you have 3 main areas of Yosemite, the Valley, Glacier point and Mariposa Grove. All are wonderful, but do not miss the drive and short walk to Glacier Point !

To gather info on the NP's you can visit each of their sites on line, but when you arrive you will be given leaflets and park maps and the Rangers love to talk about their personal favourite spots.