1. Default Road Trip from Charlotte, NC to Newport Beach, CA in July-best route?

Hi all! I am driving from Charlotte, NC to Newport Beach, CA at the end of jun/first of july, and would like to know best route. I am planning on driving 8 hours per day, and am not planning on site seeing this leg out West. I am driving with a dog, and the reason for the trip is to visit family out West, and transport the family dog to my sister. They moved to southern cal, and didn't want to ship their dog via air. I have a one way rental car already reserved, my flight back booked. If I leave Charlotte on the 26th of June, was thinking I would stop and stay the first night in Nashville. After that, if I am on I-40, what cities/towns should I target for lodging? I really want to book pet-friendly hotels in advance to be safe. Any help is appreciated! PS: I have driven semi-across country in the past, once alone, and once with a companion, each of these was from NC to CO, and then back. Thanks!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

With your goal of traveling about 8 hours a day, and looking to use I-40 as your route, I think your best options for stopping points after Nashville would be Fort Smith, AR; Tucumcari, NM; and Flagstaff, AZ.

All those should keep you on the road for about 8 hours a day, with the trip across OK and TX perhaps a bit longer, closer to 9 hours, but still not too bad of a day.

Joplin MO

If you are going to drive 8 hours a day, this will take you 5 days. Nashville would be the logical first stop. The rest of them would be Fort Smith AR, Tucumcari NM, and Flagstaff AZ.

4. Default

Thank you so much! I appreciate the information! Fingers crossed for a successful trip west!

Southern California

All of those overnight cities have lodging that will take an animal overnight. You might want to do a little research before you go, so you don't have to go blindly to a motel and ask about pets. You can do this online easily. If you're on a budget, you could stop at the Visitors Information centers or at truck stops, and look for lodging coupon booklets. Many of them will say "pet friendly", "small pets permitted", etc., though some will come right out and say, "sorry, no pets".

Another suggestion: for Nashville, see if you can find a place on the west side of town. That way, you won't have to worry about Rush Hour in the morning!