Thread: southwest

1. Default southwest

Hello peeps, planning a family trip from San Diego? Have four days and would like to accomplish seeing Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and anything in between. Any ideas how to do this? Do I have to go through Vegas to see the Hoover Dam? Is Zion National Park out there or is that a possibility?

Tucson, AZ

Default Not as Much Time as You Might Think

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Four days really isn't all that much time for a RoadTrip from San Diego to the Grand Canyon and back. It will take a full day for the drive each way, and for kids especially Road Trips are about the destination and not the drive, so I wouldn't be looking to add a whole lot of miles to this trip. Fortunately, there is quite a bit in the Flagstaff area to keep them interested. Besides the Canyon there's Lowell Observatory, Oak Creek Canyon (and Slide Rock State Park), Walnut Canyon National Monument, the Museum of Northern Arizona, and Wupatki National Monument. So look to make the most of the place you can drive to in a reasonable amount of time rather than trying to drive more, and see less.

Joplin MO

I think trying to do both the Grand Canyon and Zion in 4 days would be too much - I'd pick one or the other. You don't have to go through Las Vegas to go to the Hoover Dam, but it's out of the way to avoid it.

Southern California

Slide Rock and Oak Creek Canyon were recently involved with a fire. I'd check first before heading there.

Melbourne, Australia

Default A great opportunity.

Slide Rock State Park was spared the fires, and Oak Creek Canyon has again been mostly opened to the public. Depending on the ages of the children, this could be a great educational opportunity to take them and see what wild fires can do. You might even go back in two or five years, and see how good nature is at recovering from, what after all, is a natural occurrence.