Later this month, my girlfriend and I are going to be traveling from KC to San Francisco. I have the route nearly planned out, but I would appreciate any tips that I might have missed. This is the first big road trip I've attempted. Please let me know what you think of my plan and potential gear to bring along!
Vehicle - 2013 VW Golf R 3 door hatchback
Tent - Marmot Limelight 4P (got this for a steal for $119 during the recent REI sale)
Lodging - Camping and staying in San Francisco with family. No hotel fees, hopefully!
The route there
June 20, 2014 - KCMO to Longmont, CO
- Staying with friends for the night
June 21 & 22 - Longmont, CO to Pike's Peak
- Drive/train ride up Pike's Peak
- Camping at a KOA campsite
- Find a place to watch the USA vs Portugal World Cup match
June 23 & 24 - Pike's Peak to Grand Canyon National Park
- Exploring the Grand Canyon, probably hiking a bit
- Camping at Mather's campground in the South Rim
June 25 - Grand Canyon to Santa Monica, CA
- Check out the Santa Monica Pier
- Camping @ Malibu Creek State Park
June 26 - Santa Monica, CA to Monterey, CA
- Monterey Aquarium
- Find a way to watch the USA vs Germany World Cup match
- Camping @ Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
June 27 through July 4 - Monterey, CA to San Francisco, CA
- Staying with family
- Various touristy activities (Fisherman's wharf, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, etc)
- Possibly our 1st time dispersed camping, at Redwood National Park
- 4th of July firework display
The route back
July 5 - San Francisco, CA to ???
- Not sure where we're going to stop on the first night back, might have to find a hotel.
July 6 - ??? to Estes Park, Colorado
- Camping at Moraine Park Campground
July 7 - Estes Park, Colorado to Kansas City, MO
- Uploading all of the awesome pictures we took to Facebook :)