Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Route Mapping software for navigation unit

Hi,

Im from the UK and planning a road trip on the west coast for my honey moon.

I need some help with what software I should use? I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips before but would like to be able to use a program to plan the trip and then export it to a navigation device which I could use in the car.

I don't know what the best platform to use in the car would be Ipad or Navigation unit like tomtom or iPhone.

Please let me know your suggestions.

fabian

Streets and Trips can export to most GPX-compatible GPS devices. This means a Garmin would be the best bet.

The other option is to get the GPS module for S&T and run it on a Windows tablet or laptop.

3. Default

I heard that the GPS Module for S&T is glitchy, have you had any experience using it?

I used a generic GPS module with S&T on my old laptop for several years and didn't have any problem with it. Then again, it was S&T 2007 and Windows XP. I now use my Android phone with Google Maps.

Default Electronics for back up.

While you are doing all this, don't forget to carry your paper maps. These should always be your first port of call for any navigation. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your electronics. Many have done so at their peril, some with fatal consequences.

If you are a member of your local automobile club, be sure to bring your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourist information from the AAA. Pick them up in the location of your arrival.

Lifey

I will agree wholeheartedly with Lifey: you NEED paper maps. Electronics, whether they come in the form of a GPS stand alone, your smart phone, your tablet, or your laptop, cannot be solely counted on to provide good solid information. Mine has told me to turn left down a one-way road that only goes to the right. It has also told me to take a bridge that wasn't there. Others have been sent over forest roads in the middle of winter that were no more than logging roads, to their peril. Very sad.

Where to get paper maps: your auto association, the RTA store has good atlases, Amazon, and more. When you get into the States, stop at every state information center when you drive into a new state, and pick up a decent map of that state. (Most of the time, these maps are much better than AAA's, because they're more detailed!) If you have a home auto association, it may have reciprocity with AAA in the states and you can pick up maps there, too.

Donna

Default You can't have too many.

Since State maps are also free, along with AAA maps (with your automobile membership), I like to always get both. Both are detailed with many attractions marked on them, but just every now and then you find an attraction or route marked on one which is not on the other.

As an extra benefit, I carry a Rand McNally atlas as well. (I note the 2015 edition has just been released.) The three together give me options which one alone may not have... and definitely more than any computer program will give you.

Each evening I mark with a hilighter in the atlas, all the roads on which I travelled that day. Makes for a great souvenir of the trip, as well as accurate information when recalling the trip later.

BTW, all branches of the British Automobile clubs have reciprocal arrangements with AAA.

Lifey

8. Default

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the comments.

I will defo be taking some maps with me however my other half doesn't know her left from her right which can be a little frustrating especially navigating in a city(I have had some experience before with this).

I will be using the navigation unit to help me navigate generally and just rely on maps every now and then just to make sure im going in the right direction!

so I guess the census is to use S & T?

Use S&T with GPS module on laptop/tablet or use S&T and export to a Garmin.

Default Been there, done that!

Quote Originally Posted by fabian1986 View Post
    ... however my other half doesn't know her left from her right which can be a little frustrating especially navigating in a city(I have had some experience before with this).
    You're right, it is most frustrating. The city is not really a place for a person to learn to read a map. Finding an address in the city is often better done with a gps.

But if you get good detailed maps of the States through which you will be travelling, and gently help her, you could very well end up with someone who not only will be able to read maps, but will enjoy it. Follow the road, exits, intersections and landmarks. It takes patience and probably a lot more time to get from A to B, but the rewards are most satisfying.

We all had to learn.... once.

Lifey