Hello. I am planning a trip to America and as I will be coming from South Africa, I would really appreciate some input on my recommended plan of action. We would like to drive down the west coast of America, starting in Seattle and ending in Austin Texas. The (rough) plan is to start in Seattle and down the coast through: Yellowstone (a bit of a deviation- still thinking about this one), then to San Fransisco, Las Vegas, Las Angeles and then hit Route 66 to pass through the Grand Canyon, through New Mexico and down south to Austin in Texas. Any input regarding this route would be greatly appreciated - especially the following questions:
1) what is the best time of the year to do this route, preferably warm to hot - we were thinking September?
2) how long would you estimate this trip will take to get the most out of it - considering we will want to stay at the above mentioned locations for at least 2-3 days each?
3) Should we book accommodation before we leave or will it be ok to wing it depending on how the driving goes?
4) What places/ things would you recommend we see along this route?
5) what would the recommended budget be for a trip like this?
Phew, quite a post.. and quite a trip. Would REALLY appreciate any input as South AFrica is quite a far way away!! Thank you!