Default Building our map from Nashville, tn to Las Vegas, nv

First time building our map and I am overwhelmed with the choices. We want to drive and see historical sites, Native American sites in particular, the petrified forest, but cannot deal with 148 choices when using the tools. We need help breaking the trip into manageable drives and stopping in places that will allow us to visit most sites during the day. We don't mind breaking the driving into early morning and late afternoon drives. Which places do you recommend as the best "don't miss" places. We will be returning the same way a week later so we have opportunities to see more. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to RTA!

If you aren't already, use a paper map of the USA to start. In some way, flag places that you would like to see, as those are the "don't miss" places for YOU. Bear in mind that Nashville to Vegas is about 1800 miles -- which are three LONG days on the road (600 miles per day), so you'd have to add time for any place you stop at. From experience, I can say that it would be darned tiring to drive 600 miles AND do a 3-hour stop or tour someplace. When you say "a week later", are you trying to stay in Vegas for a week? How long do you have completely for the journey?

By the most direct route, I-40 to US-93, there are lots of things along the way. Everything that's in Memphis pertaining to music and Elvis Presley. Oklahoma City Memorial. Albuquerque has a lot of things to see and do, including the Petroglyphs National Monument and the Smithsonian's Nuclear museum. Petrified Forest National Park is RIGHT on the interstate (allow 2-3 hours). You can stand on the corner of Winslow Arizona (Eagles song). The Grand Canyon. A portion of Rt 66 from Seligman through Peach Springs.

If you can plan to go back via a different route, it makes the trip a lot more fun.

Donna

Default Time

Perhaps the thing that matters most in trying to make the most of your time between Nashville and Las Vegas, and back again, is the one thing you haven't told us: how mach time you have for the transits. You'll need a bare minimum of three days just to make the drive from one city to the other that's the bare minimum (pushing it a bit) using only the most direct Interstate, I-40, with no time out for stops or even scenic photo ops. A fourth day each way would give you a couple of hours each day to sight-see or take a few detours off the straight and boring. Fortunately for your stated goals, you will be driving by or near many historic, scenic, and Native American sites.

For starters, let's assume that you have four days for a one-way drive from Nashville to Las Vegas. Then you'll have time for a two or three hour stop each day. On Day One, if you haven't been there already, consider Mud Island in Memphis and learn about the Mississippi and spend the night around Ozark AK. On Day Two, take a short side trip to the Creek Council House Museum in Okmulgee OK and overnight just east of Amarillo TX. On Day Three make your major stop at Petroglyph National Monument outside Albuquerque and bed down in Gallup NM. Finally on Day Four check out Petroglyph National Park (and the Painted Desert) on your way to Las Vegas.

As Donna noted, you can take a different route back to maximize the amount of sight-seeing you can get in. There are two main possibilities. The southern option would have you take US-93 to Phoenix and pick up I-10 there, use that all the way back into Texas, and then just split off as each major Interstate branches northward - I-10/I-20/I-30/I-40. The northern option would send you up I-15 from Las Vegas to I-70 over the Rockies and out onto the Plains, then at St. Louis taking I-64/I-57/I-24 down to Nashville. The northern option could conceivably be driven in four days with some stops, but the southern one would take a fifth day to do properly.

AZBuck

We have lots of time to make this trip so we can do four or five days of driving with no problem each way and longer if we need it. We have lots of time, just not lots of cash to spend on expensive hotels. We are two lady schoolteachers and love learning. Thanks for any advice.

When you talk about building your maps and you "can't deal with 148 choices when using the tools" I'm going to assume that you are talking about using RTA's Map Center?

The whole reason that the regulars on this forum cringe when we see questions like "what are the must sees" is because all 148 things you found there could be considered a must see. Every single one of those places has been visited by, and recommended by, an RTA contributor. And of course, those 148 place are really just the tip of the iceberg - there are thousands more places that might be perfect for you.

That's what makes planning a roadtrip fun and unique - you get to decide what is a must see for you. Look at those 148 places, along with the other things that have been recommended in this thread and other places on the forum, and start seeing what looks like it would be interesting to you.

Default In That Case...

...I'd suggest taking the more southerly route that I suggested for your return trip. I just think it has more history and Native American culture. The northern return route would clearly take the cake on scenery (Zion, Bryce, the Colorado Rockies, and others). Along the southern route in Arizona there's the Heard Museum in Phoenix, Casa Grande National Monument in Coolidge AZ, the Arizona State Museum in Tucson, Kartchner Caverns in Benson, and Fort Bowie National Monument in Bowie. In New Mexico there's Old Mesilla Village in Las Cruces while in Texas there's the Ysleta and Socorro Missions in El Paso, Monahans Sandhills, as well as Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas. And 'finally', in Arkansas, Hot Springs National Park.

And as long as you have time, plan on a few other stops while westbound, such as the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum in Oklahoma City, the Salinas Pueblos south of Albuquerque, and any number of sites in and around Flagstaff AZ including the Museum of Northern Arizona, Lowell Observatory, Walnut Canyon National Monument and, of course, the Grand Canyon.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by Dianerchen View Post
    We have lots of time to make this trip so we can do four or five days of driving with no problem each way and longer if we need it. We have lots of time, just not lots of cash to spend on expensive hotels. We are two lady schoolteachers and love learning. Thanks for any advice.
    I'm another school teacher, and my husband is retired, so we feel we are pretty good at NOT paying lots of cash for hotels, food, etc. We have a whole forum here called "Saving Money on the Road" with lots of great ideas. Among our favorite ways:

* Hotels -- utilize the budget places such as Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn. Pick up coupon booklets at truck stops and state visitor information centers (usually a few miles after you've entered a new state) which will give you better budget rates for the mid-to-upper range places, but bear in mind that these don't always work on weekends (especially in tourist-laden areas). They also work better if you pull in at an earlier hour -- 4pm.

* Food -- carry your own snacks and drinks, utilize grocery stores and Wal-Mart/Target to stock up, and even to pick up a meal or two rather than spend every meal inside a restaurant.

* Fuel -- use Gasbuddy.com app to get the best rates in the area. Of course use your best driving technique to save on fuel used. Carry your own spare oil so you won't pay gas station/truck stop rates along the way.

I too love to learn things -- one of the main reasons why I travel. I'm changing positions for next school year, and am looking forward to finding out what grade level so that I can look for things to photograph or pick up (gift shops) to take back to my classroom, this summer. Sometimes I've gone to a seminar, conference, or similar along our route, during the summers too.

Donna

I have had technological difficulties trying to remove some of the points that are closer to home and trying to add extra fun sites others here have recommended. For example I would like to add several sites like. The Choctaw museum, Toby Keith's I love this bar and grill, the nuclear science museum. Maybe because I am so new to this site and using an iPad, I will figure out the kinks. I appreciate all help.

Great trip advice and I will check out the other forums!

Default Some tips

Quote Originally Posted by Dianerchen View Post
    I have had technological difficulties trying to remove some of the points that are closer to home and trying to add extra fun sites others here have recommended. For example I would like to add several sites like. The Choctaw museum, Toby Keith's I love this bar and grill, the nuclear science museum. Maybe because I am so new to this site and using an iPad, I will figure out the kinks. I appreciate all help.
    The problem probably lies in the use of the iPad. We didn't build a version that works well on iPad. That being said, I know other users have been able to use their iPads.

Now, to specifics -- on each attraction shown on any map, if you click on the attraction you will see a bubble open up and and in the bubble is the option to remove the attraction from the map.

To create custom maps -- you might find this tutorial helpful -- especially the parts about creating custom places...