1. Default Memphis to Denver Help

Hi all,

In a couple weeks I'll be driving from North Carolina to California over a span of about 2 weeks.

As of right now, I'm unsure of where to stop between Memphis and Denver -- we're planning on leaving Memphis the morning of June 4th and arriving in Denver sometime on June 6th. That means we need two spots to stop overnight, but I'm having trouble finding a balance between shorter drive times (ideally under 6 hours per day) and interesting things to see in the places to stay those two nights.

Currently, the plan is to drive from Memphis to Branson, stay overnight there, then to Salina, KS and finally to Denver the day after that, but neither towns sound particularly appealing. Does anyone have any good alternative places to stay overnight?

Thanks!

Default One Possibility

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You're free, of course, to travel whatever roads you'd like and to spend as long as you'd like on the road on any given day. But given your stated preference of only driving 6 hours or so on any one day, and looking for some interesting places to stop each day to break up the drive, here are some possibilities. Start by taking a slightly more southern route than what you seem to be planning on so far: I-40 to Little Rock and on past Lake Dardanelle State Park in Arkansas and up the Muskogee Turnpike past Sequoyah Bay State Park in Oklahoma, spending your first overnight in the Tulsa area.

Day 2 would have you leave Tulsa on the Cimarron Turnpike to I-35 north, passing near the Pawnee Bill Ranch up to Wichita where you'd turn west on US-54/UA-400 through Greenburg to Dodge City and your second overnight.

Your final day on the road would see you continuing west on US-400/US-50 across the high plains past museums dedicated to both railroads and an Indian tribe as the Rockies loom ever larger in front of you as you head for Pueblo. Finally head north on I-25 past the Air Force Academy to Denver.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-22-2014 at 08:00 PM.

3. Default

This sounds much better than what I had originally planned. Thank you so much!!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-23-2014 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Removed full Quote of previous post, not needed for in line reply.

Default To add to the above.

Regarding the route suggested by AZBuck, I have driven US50 and US400 through there, several times. It is a great route. Spend a little time, if you can, before you go, learning the history of the area. It will enrich your trip.

The other route you might like to look at is US287. Near Lamar, you will see a sign by the highway pointing to 'US287 to I-70'. This is also a great route, through the wide open plains of CO. It is not a slow road, with highway speed limits. Reinforces the fact that not all of CO is the Rockies.

When you head west out of Denver, you will be in for a great treat. That interstate is one of the most scenic in the country, all the way through to UT.

Lifey

Default Particularly Greensburg

Speaking of reading up on a little history to enrich your travels, no other town on my proposed route demonstrates the value of that more than Greensburg KS. You may have wondered why I included it in a list of worthwhile stops. Besides having the world's largest hand-dug well, this is a town that recently re-invented itself and deserves a visit to see what it has done.

AZBuck

6. Default

Really interesting stuff in regards to Greensburg. It's motivating me to do be a little more thorough about studying the history of the rest of the trip as well!

Default A little detour.

Greensburg is an amazing place where it is hard to find two buildings which pre date the tornado. The visitor centre there is very helpful.

You might also like to make a drive-through-stop of Joplin, and see how that city is recovering from their destruction just three years ago. You need to do no more than drive through. It is clear where the path of the tornado was, and compare that with areas which are now the 'old' areas of town.

Lifey