Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Swedes driving from Washington DC to Atlanta GA

Hello!

I've been reading a lot on this forum for the last few days.
    But wanted to maybe get some personalized recommendations. We are going to be driving from Washington to Atlanta at the end of August this year. Will be our first road trip in the US and we want to experience as much as possible during this trip.

We are thinking about going straight south from DC on I-95, then I-64 down through Norfolk and then along the coast until like Charleston and from there going inland. Just because in our minds following the ocean will be quite nice? With a lot to see and experience. We do however not know if there is anything we should experience along the way? We are taking it easy and taking 2-3 days of driving so we can stop where we want and not stress...

Any epiq famous burger or sandwich joints we should visit, or the like, we love food. Specially the American kind ;)
    or other attractions? malls? outlets? anything really :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Default

By the most direct route using interstate highways it's over 1000km from Washington DC to Atlanta. Via Norfolk, Charleston and the coast roads the distance increases to about 1500km and quite a lot of it would be on relatively slow roads. Therefore with only three days you won't have a lot of time to spare.

Between Richmond and Williamsburg, if time allows then you might like to consider Colonial Williamsburg, a collection of restored buildings dating from the days when the USA was a colony, in other words before the Declaration of Independence in 1776.

Along the way you'll almost certainly pass all the national restaurant chains (Wendys, Arbys, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, Subway, Taco Bell, Dennys, Applebee's, etc). One fast food chain with an unusual system that you might like to sample is Sonic, where you drive into a bay, order via an intercom, and your order is brought to your car.

If you could give the trip two or three more days then you might perhaps consider a visit to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park which I'd very highly recommend.

Default Start Here

Všlkomnande! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

To give you an idea of what's available on a trip from Washington southward, take a look at this description of a 'loop' trip between the Middle Atlantic states and Florida. As you correctly note you can relatively easily switch between those two routes, but as they grow farther and farther apart the more you get into the South, I'd suggest you start out on one and only switch over once. If I were the one doing it, I'd start out following the Appalachians to around Roanoke, then head for the coast between Wilmington NC and Charleston SC, finally heading back inland to Atlanta. However, such a back-and-forth route will take two full days of driving, so you'd need to take three days for the journey in order to have the time to see some things and not stress out too much.

As far as food goes, specific recommendations will depend on the route you finally choose, but some things to try to include would be Chesapeake Bay crabs and oysters in the DC/Annapolis area (Ask for the Old Bay Seasoning.), dried apple stack-cakes and sweet potato biscuits in the Appalachians, and various regional variations on barbeque in the South.

If you have time while in the Washington area, I'd recommend visits to Annapolis, Maryland's capitol and the home of our Naval Academy as well as a great walking town, and perhaps a run up to Wilmington DE, the site of New Sweden during our Colonial era, particularly if the Kalmar Nyckel is in port.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    By the most direct route using interstate highways it's over 1000km from Washington DC to Atlanta. Via Norfolk, Charleston and the coast roads the distance increases to about 1500km and quite a lot of it would be on relatively slow roads. Therefore with only three days you won't have a lot of time to spare.

Between Richmond and Williamsburg, if time allows then you might like to consider Colonial Williamsburg, a collection of restored buildings dating from the days when the USA was a colony, in other words before the Declaration of Independence in 1776.

Along the way you'll almost certainly pass all the national restaurant chains (Wendys, Arbys, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, Subway, Taco Bell, Dennys, Applebee's, etc). One fast food chain with an unusual system that you might like to sample is Sonic, where you drive into a bay, order via an intercom, and your order is brought to your car.

If you could give the trip two or three more days then you might perhaps consider a visit to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park which I'd very highly recommend.
    Thanks a lot, we just went by what Google maps told us. And said it would be like a 10 hour drive that way. But now we know better! :)
    Yeah we have a list of all the fast food joints we want to visit but I see a lot of photos on the web from like small local famous places that have like special "heartstopping" burgers :P

The colonial part sounds really wonderful though, will have to check that on the map and see what my fellow travelers think about that! :)

Thanks! Please don't hesitate to write here if you think of anything else :)
    We really wan't to make the most of this trip :)

Wow, thanks a lot. Seems that going the inland route is smarter for us since we don't have three days. Hotels are already booked and we need to be i Atl for Dragon*Con! :D

But according to your link, going south to norfolk and then heading inland to Jamestown and such would be a good idea? Because if we head down the coast to Wilmington NC and Charleston SC we would need three days. You think it would be worth the extra day or will we have enough to see going the inland route?

Annapolis will prob have to wait, even though it seems awesome! New Sweden, meh fun thought but we get enough of Sweden at home :) We wan't to experience as much of the US as we can, specially the small personal places, diners, areas with character and "must see" stuff :)

Quote Originally Posted by ErDraug View Post
    New Sweden, meh fun thought but we get enough of Sweden at home :) We wan't to experience as much of the US as we can,
    One thing you might not understand about American Culture is how people like to celebrate their heritage. I'm not saying that "New Sweden" should be a must for you on this trip, but if your trip takes you past a Midsommar Festival or some other Swedish themed celebration, you should certainly not dismiss it as being too similar to home. In reality, there really are few things that would be more American!

Yeah, I have family in Florida, distant but still that I've visited, quite an experience. But still don't think that's what we are going for, but greatly appreciate what you are saying and I will take it into consideration!

Most of the things I've seen online are far from Swedish in their celebration in the states, warped/twisted way from what they used to be, quite amusing to be honest, and unavoidable! Do you have a Swedish heritage yourself? :)

Default My family name is as common as Smith is in the USA

My last name is Sedenquist.... from Sevenquist.... So, yes, I have lots and lots of extended family in Sweden.

Mark

Hehe nice. We have a Cedenqvist at work ;) Who knows? :P Would be interesting to know, since midsommar is coming up. How will you celebrate it? Curious now! :D

Im thinking now about a trip along this route:
    Washington -> Richmond -> Norfolk -> Grensboro(Williamsburg, and Jamestown) -> Charlotte -> Then to Charleston -> Savannah -> Atlanta.

What do you think about that?
    According to Google maps thats about 17 hour drive. So say 9 hours driving per day, we will start early and leave washington on tuesday and need to be down in atl on Thursday. That leaves most of tuesday, all of wednesday and most of thursday to drive...

But I don't know :)

10. Default

I make that latest route about 1800km, and most of the way you can use interstate highways (but other, slower, roads will be much more interesting). Treat Google Maps' driving times with considerable caution, they aren't realistic.

To people from other countries I'd normally suggest considering the inland route along the spine of the Appalachian mountains, but I guess Swedes see enough beautiful mountains and forests at home. FWIW I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of holidays in Sweden many years ago, especially Dalarna and I'm looking at a Dalarna painted wooden horse as I type this.