1. Default road trip from kentucky to memphis and........

then little Rock, to Dallas to see the Southfork Ranch,then towards Amarillo Texas ending up in las Vegas!

This will be our first trip out west and driving this far so long a period of time. Couple questions for everyone....... Should I use a rental car or my own? I have a 2011 4-runner with roadside assistance and only around 16,000 miles. Also how long is to long to drive each day?

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You've got a car that's practically brand new and has extremely low miles for its age, so there is no reason you can't use your own vehicle. If your case, it seems like there would be very few advantages to renting.

A good rule of thumb is that you should avoid driving more than about 600 miles a day on a multiday trip. That's roughly the limit that professional drivers are allowed by law to travel, due to safety concerns. This is true even if you have more than one driver. Of course, that requires you being on the road for 10-12 hour in a day, and leaves very little time for anything other than driving. If you want to actually stop and see things along the way, you should plan to do less driving.

3. Default

Thanks and thanks for the reply.....Yeah I was leaning towards my own vehicle. We will not be pressed for time either. I have all the hotels booked to Vegas but I am going to book the others on my way back home from Vegas. I am a choice hotels member so by doing that way I may get some free nights as well.

4. Default

Has anyone been to the Oklahoma City National Memorial? I was thinking of heading that way before going on to Amarillo after leaving Dallas.

Oakville, ON, Canada

While visiting Memphis, I highly recommend visiting the National Civil Rights Museum. It is located in the former Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King was assassinated. It is located not too far from Beale Street. When in Amarillo, visit Cadillac Ranch on the outskirts of town (you can find cans of spray paint left behind on the ground for others to use) and The Big Texan Ranch and watch someone try to eat a 72oz steak dinner (and get it for free).
    With respect to your rental car question, unless you are leasing your current car and may go over your mileage allotment, I would drive your own car and avoid the additional expense.

Melbourne, Australia

Default If that is what you are thinking, go!

Quote Originally Posted by bhall2014 View Post
    Has anyone been to the Oklahoma City National Memorial? I was thinking of heading that way before going on to Amarillo after leaving Dallas.
    The beauty of a roadtrip is that we can go wherever we desire to go. No need to rely on what others might think of your choices.

If you have a desire to go to the Oklahoma City National Memorial, then I would stronly suggest that you do so. It will satisfy that urge within you which wants to see / experience this site.

Have a great trip, and come back and let us know how it all went.... along with your pics.