Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default BC- Northern California-Nevada-Utah?

Hi, Back again to plan our yearly road/tent camping trip to the US. in late Aug/early Sept. Have 17-19 days.

Leave after work?-BC-Spokane WA-
    DAY 1-Kennwick WA-Bend OR-
    Have seen Crater Lake but may stay at Diamond Lake( camped there before) if getting late.
    DAY 2-Thinking of taking Hwy 230-62 to Grant's Pass OR-$30 for Yurts at Grants pass-Schroeder Park( may stay here?)--Cresent City CA-(stay in area?
    DAY 3-Eureka CA-Avenue of giants-HUMBOLDT REDWOODS SP, CA-(may camp here?)and sightsee area for 2 days
    DAY 4-Redwoods SP area
    DAY 5-Take Hwy 36-Whiskeytown National Recreation Area ( Spend 2 days? sightsee Lake Shasta-McAurther-Burney Falls,Lassen Volcano NP,etc-ANY OTHER MUST SEE SIGHTS HERE?
    DAY 6-
    DAY 7-NOT SURE OF ROUTE(MAYBE SOME HELP HERE?)
    If go the Reno Rt- maybe see Lassen Volcano Np on way there?
    Or go Chico-Nevada City-Truckee?-Lake Tahoe
    Can stop if something interesting in area? before Lake Tahoe
    Any insight to good camping at lake Tahoe?
    DAY 8-Lake Tahoe-Carson City
    DAY 9-Carson City-Mono Lake-Bishop-Valley of Fire SP-LONG DRIVE DAY
    DAY 10-Valley of Fire SP-Zion NP( stay in area ? nights)SIGHTSEE ZION/BRYCE/PAGE/ANTELOPE CANYON
    DAY 11-WANT TO CHECK OUT SLOT CANYONS-WHERE TO STAY?
    DAY 12-
    DAY 13-
    DAY 14-
    DAY 15-
    DAY 16-Park City
    DAY 17-Bear Lake
    Day 18- Salmon ID going home this route to Missoula- Kalispell MT-BC

These last 3 days are just places we may stop and see not necessarily staying in them.

We are early 50's couple like to tent camp- but may stay in yurts(never have?) or cabins( sometimes cabins are same $ as tent sites in smaller areas. Do motels on long drive days.

We like to do easy hikes, see historic/natural things. like to avoid freeways and like hot weather.. love to go swimming

SLOT CANYONS are really something I want to do again... we did Wildhorse SLot canyon near Goblin SP and found it easy.

Went thru Lake Shasta and wanted to stop there and see sites this time.
    We like to go home quickly usually.

Have never been to Lake Tahoe area so any ideas ... Carson City worth checking out I'm sure?

Thanks for help!

I love this site...Awesome!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-16-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added some white space for easier reading

DAY 5-Take Hwy 36-Whiskeytown National Recreation Area ( Spend 2 days? sightsee Lake Shasta-McAurther-Burney Falls,Lassen Volcano NP,etc-ANY OTHER MUST SEE SIGHTS HERE?
    DAY 6-
    That's a tall order for Day 5. I would definitely try for at least 2 days in the area, if not three. Whiskeytown NRA is a really lovely area, and nice to plunk down in a campsite and just relax. Lake Shasta in August can be really, really hot, so bear that in mind. We tent camped one year at Lakehead, but it wasn't anywhere near a lakeshore! Another time we were in a commercial campground -- yuck. Both times it was in August and it was 100. The second time, we left earlier and headed for higher elevation!

Between Burney Falls and Lassen NP, along CA-89, is Hat Creek State Park. I believe that is where we found some lava caves and tubes, which we all found fun and interesting -- so much, that we never made it up to Burney Falls where we were headed! Lassen NP is also worth a full day if you can spare it, rather than just a "drive through". My kids still remember "Bumpass Hell", where we took a longer hike and it smelled like rotten eggs! Lassen has a lot of campgrounds -- something like 7 or 8? We didn't stay at any, as we wanted hookups for our pop-up.

DAY 10-Valley of Fire SP-Zion NP( stay in area ? nights)SIGHTSEE ZION/BRYCE/PAGE/ANTELOPE CANYON
    Here's another place where you should allot a few days. Zion will take at least one day, possibly two, to fully explore. I think we used three when we were there, so that we could do some hiking. Bryce is worth at least a half day or more. As for Page and Antelope Canyon, I'll let someone else comment.

Donna

Hi thanks for your info... day 5 and 6 are for the Lake Shasta area sightseeing but could add another day if needed I thought 2 days would be lots?

Also, Day 10-15 is for Zion/Bryce/Page Area... I would like to do 2 days at Zion for sure
    Then thought maybe go to Page for 1 day for Antelope Canyon but if needed 2 days, and 1 night at Bryce to do sunset or sunrise and onto north from Bryce.

I love hot weather as long as there is a beach/water nearby! lol

Any suggestions for coast part or grant's pass to coast?

Did you do any slot canyons in Zion?

Default Thoughts.

One of the worlds most famous slot canyons has to be the Narrows in Zion NP which involves wading through the Virgin river. Check out their webpage. Slot canyon resource.

From Carson an alternative route would be to head across to the old mining town of Tonopah on US6 and then at the old derelict staging post of Warm Springs head SE on the ET Highway past the Little'ALE'INN, where you can stop for refreshment and check out the 'Out of this world' photo's covering the walls. If you stop to stretch your legs at Warm Springs there is a little walk up the hill to where the natural hot spring emerges from the hillside. The water from here has been diverted to a manmade pool which has a 'keep out' sign next to the hole in the wire fence which people don't use to soak their feet or take a dip. ;-) It's mainly a very remote desert drive but we found it to be rewarding.

For Zion NP I would try and book the Watchman campground inside the park asap. It's a short walk from the entrance and to the shuttle buses that you have to take to get into the main canyon area. If Watchman is booked out you should try and locate somewhere in or near to Springdale. Bryce canyon has 2 campgrounds and only one has reservable sites which are very limited in number, otherwise it's first come fiirst served so you would have to try and arrive early morning, but I personally would try to book. Rubys Inn campground is right by the park entrance and has dining and shopping facilities nearby.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-17-2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added link.

day 5 and 6 are for the Lake Shasta area sightseeing but could add another day if needed I thought 2 days would be lots?
    For Lake Shasta itself, a day or two would be plenty (IMHO). More than that, you either have a boat or be willing to rent one. Whiskeytown is a few miles away, and a day for that. We camped for a couple of nights in a NF campground near Trinity Center (north end of Trinity Lake)

Any suggestions for coast part or grant's pass to coast?
    We drove that as well. Oregon Caves Nat'l Monument was very nice, but I don't remember a whole lot about it. We tent-camped in Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park for a night -- they gave us a site right next to CA-36, and we did not get a decent night's sleep because of all the logging trucks that went whizzing by all night! A campsite that we loved was at Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP.

Did you do any slot canyons in Zion?
    We wanted to walk the Narrows in Zion, but they told us not to with our young daughters. We heeded the warning and were glad that we did. There was a good rainstorm up river and sent a good deal of water and silt down, the day we would have walked it. The day we arrived in Springdale, we got a riverside camping spot. There in the river was a nice "soaking place" where we could take a dip that day and the following -- and we did. By that third day, the river had risen and totally hidden that little "soaking spot". It had also brought with it a lot of silt and other filth, totally changing the water quality. The girls were so disappointed that we wouldn't let them into that river any more!

If Watchman is booked out you should try and locate somewhere in or near to Springdale.
    We stayed at what was then known as Zion Canyon Campground. It was in Springdale, right on the other side of the river from Watchman Campground, I believe. It's still there, though under different ownership. The tent sites were all riverside at that time.

Donna

Default Your trip report.

Last year's trip worked out well for you, and made a great read. This looks like it will be another beauty, covering areas many people dream of visiting. One place where members go to look is the RoadTrip Field Reports Forum, where roadtrippers have documented their trips, and many have illustrated these with copious pictures.... even videos.

It would be great if you could post in this forum a comprehensive report of your trip, either as you go, or like last year, at the end of your trip. I for one, would be most interested in reading it... as I am sure many others would as well. And of course, we always love to see your pictures.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 05-17-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks Lifey! I will definitely do a field report with pictures. I know that I have learnt a lot for others reports. Always good to get insight from somebody that has seen or did something in an area.

Well I have been researching lots and booked some spots as we will be in some popular areas on weekends. Here is new tentative plan. would love some insight into Page or any other sights along way. We have stayed America's Best Value Inn's.. get their free discount card online. They are budget- around $50(better than Motel 6) some are really nice, lots have breakfast rooms, so free breaky!

Leave after work?-BC-Spokane WA-spend night in motel

DAY 1-Spokane-Kennwick WA-Redmond(Before Bend OR)-Eugene Or- Spend night in motel

DAY 2-Eugene Or-Florence-Oregon Sand Dunes-Bandon–Brookings Or-346Kms-Booked for 2 nights at Harris Beach SP just north of Crescent City Ca.

DAY 3-Drive as far as Orick(Thomas H. Kuchel Visitor Center Beach) and check out ocean and SP(trees)along the way-take the Newton Bury Scenic Byway….do Fern Canyon and Gold Beach

DAY 4-Crescent City CA-Eureka CA-Avenue of giants-HUMBOLDT REDWOODS SP, CA-Booked at Humboldt SP

DAY 5-Take Hwy 36-Whiskeytown National Recreation Area ( Spend 2 days? sightsee Lake Shasta-McAurther-Burney Falls,Lassen Volcano NP, Shasta Caves- Prob staying in campground in Redding

DAY 6-sightsee Shasta area

DAY 7-Decided to do Yosemite NP instead of Lake Tahoe-REDDING CA-SACRAMENTO-YOSEMITE-LEE VINING- 610 KMS- Stay in Lee Vining- Found an interesting Campground near Bodie so may stay there

DAY 8-lee vining-Mono Lake-via hwy 375-Mesquite-LONG DRIVE DAY-stay in motel

DAY 9-Mesquite-St George-Zion NP- Booked for 2 nights at Watchman Campground( there weren't many sites left already so good thing I decided to book and it will be a weekend.

DAY 10-Zion NP( stay in area 2 nights)SIGHTSEE ZION NP-CHECK OUT SLOT CANYONS

DAY 11-Page-Antelope Canyon tour

DAY 12-Page

DAY 13-Page- Haven't booked anything in this area yet( Any Suggestions???)

DAY 14-Bryce Canyon? Nothing booked yet?

DAY 15-Idaho Falls

DAY 16- Salmon ID going home this route to Missoula- Kalispell MT-BC

DAY 17-

- See more at: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum....dJHiKvd9.dpuf
    Last edited by bctraveler; 05-30-2014 at 11:29 PM.

I can tell you where NOT to stay in Page - the Super 8. It's poorly maintained and the front desk people don't care.