Default Memphis to Vegas by RV - Any attraction ideas?

We are a family of 6 traveling from Hernando, MS (Memphis, TN) to Las Vegas this summer for a cheer competition. We have decided to turn it into a fun road trip for the family. We are traveling by RV with 6 days of travel. We are looking for some ideas of attractions we may not be aware of along the way. We are thinking of the Grand Canyon and possibly the Petrified Forest. Your input and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Reservation for National Park.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Others more familiar with the route will no doubt chime in. Suffice to say, that if you would like to stay within the Grand Canyon National Park - highly recommended - be sure that you get onto the national park website a.s.a.p. - if you have not already done so - to reserve your spot. Places are few and much in demand. You could find that they are already sold out, but fear not. Keep checking back frequently, as cancellations are not uncommon.

Lifey

That's good to know, thank you so much, I will do that right away.

Default A few ideas to start.

Hi Emmy, I'm glad you found your way onto the forums !

When you say you have 6 days to travel, is this for just for the journey out there and have you got time for the journey back, that's if it's not a one way trip of course. Taking different routes means seeing new parts of the country in each direction. With 6 days one way, you could head towards the Four corners from Albuquerque, possibly via Mesa Verde NP and Monument valley into the Grand canyon. From GC you could take a detour onto route 66 through Seligman to Kingman and make a stop at the Hoover Dam. The family might enjoy taking part in a little [legal] grafitti at Cadillac ranch near Amarillo.

In the tool bar above you will find the 'Maps' section where you can enter your start and finish point on the Map Wizard or Centre and search for attractions along the way. Have a little dig around the forums and you will find lots of info and as and when other questions come to mind, just ask.

Dave.

At just under 1600 miles between the two cities, that's a 4-day drive in an RV mostly via I-40 one direction. Petrified Forest is worth about 3-4 hours to drive and see a lot of the sights, including the Painted Desert on the northern end, and the majority of the petrified trees in the central and southern end. Another stop, between Petrified Forest and Grand Canyon, would be Meteor Crater, and driving up Busn. 66 in Flagstaff can yield a look or two at some historic places (including Flagstaff's train station).

Definitely, if you're going to stop and try to camp at Grand Canyon, try to get reservations NOW. Keep trying back if they don't have any right away. There's a no-hookup campground and the Trailer Village with electric and water.

Donna

Default A Detour or Two?

Six days is a fair bit more than you'll need to drive from the Memphis area to Las Vegas, even taking a half day to a day to visit the Grand Canyon. And while, as with all all Interstates, there are attractions enough along the highway, there are a few sites and byways a bit off the main route that you might want to consider as you head west.

The first would start at Little Rock where you could take I-30 and US-70 to Hot Springs then continue westward on US-270 to US-59 south to Mena and get on the Talimena Scenic Drive from Mena AK to Talihina OK. Continue on OK-1 to get back on US-270 and use the Indian Nation Turnpike to rejoin I-40.

Another detour worth considering starts at Amarillo TX. Use US-287 and US-87 northwest to Clayton NM and US-64. Take that up past Capulin Mountain to Raton, and with a short jog south on I-25, on to Taos. Take the scenic High Road down to Santa Fe, hop on I-25 and get back on I-40 at Albuquerque.

The third possible detour is the longest section of old Route 66 still out there. Leave I-40 at Seligman and follow AZ-66 (as it is now signed) through Peach Springs, rejoining I-40 at Kingman. It should be noted that this stretch of highway provided the visual inspiration for the animated movie "Cars". Stay on I-40 for just a few miles before picking up US-93 over the Hoover Dam and into Las Vegas.

You may not have time for all three of those detours, and not all of them may appeal to you, but they should give you a flavor of what you might accomplish other than just sticking to I-40 all the way.

AZBuck

Thanks Dave. We actually have 6 days for the entire trip, only staying in Vegas the one day to allow for as much time as possible on the road. We were looking at route 66, my son is interested in Cadillac Ranch and Winslow Arizona (from the Eagles song). I have not been online in a little while so I am jut seeing this. Thank you for your help!

Hi Donna,

Thank you for the great information. You have been very helpful. Painted Desert is a great idea. I wasn't aware there was a no-hookup area at Trailer Village, that will work for us. Thanks.

Emmy

Thanks AZBuck, I really like the idea of Amarillo through Albuquerque and we are considering the route 66 option as well and your information is a huge help!

Default One way trip I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by EmnKev View Post
    Thanks Dave. We actually have 6 days for the entire trip, only staying in Vegas the one day to allow for as much time as possible on the road. We were looking at route 66, my son is interested in Cadillac Ranch and Winslow Arizona (from the Eagles song). I have not been online in a little while so I am jut seeing this. Thank you for your help!
    I'm sorry but I'm still not 100% sure if you mean for a one way trip to Vegas, or if you have to drive back to Memphis within the 6 days ? If you are planning on driving out and back, not only will you not have time to spend 'only one day' in Vegas, it won't really be a 'fun roadtrip for the family', it will feel like a very long drive trapped in a tin can for long long hours. It would be 3 very long days of driving each way. I hope it is a one way drive and then you will have a little time to enjoy the stops you mention, if not you will need to find more time or re-think your plan to drive.